Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Schelling Bernhard <Be...@lemon42.com> on 2007/03/29 15:09:19 UTC

FW: subversion authetication

hi,

I installed subversion and managed it to configure basic
authentication only with a htpasswd file.

[...]
AuthType Basic
AuthName "Subversion repositories"

AuthUserFile /etc/subversion/svn-auth-file
AuthzSVNAccessFile /home/subversion/repos/conf/authz
[...]

Is it possible to configure authentication without using
a htpasswd file just taking the passwd file from my project
directory? How would an apache configuration look like in
that case?

Thanks for hints,

Bernhard

Re: FW: subversion authetication

Posted by Les Mikesell <le...@gmail.com>.
Ramanathan Muthaiah wrote:
>> Is it possible to configure authentication without using
>> a htpasswd file just taking the passwd file from my project
>> directory? How would an apache configuration look like in
>> that case?
>
> You might want to look at the combination of SVN + Apache + LDAP.
>
> A quick search in http://svn.haxx.se gives 877 results of discussion
> threads on this combo.
>
> Maybe there are other options that I have not mentioned here.

On pam based systems you can use mod_auth_pam with apache to make it
match the rest of the system's authentication methods even if they are a
combination of local and network checks.  This generally would already
work with ssh+svn on these systems - and it seems kind of odd that
svnserve doesn't follow this standard too.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell@gmail.com

Re: FW: subversion authetication

Posted by Ramanathan Muthaiah <ru...@gmail.com>.
> Is it possible to configure authentication without using
> a htpasswd file just taking the passwd file from my project
> directory? How would an apache configuration look like in
> that case?

You might want to look at the combination of SVN + Apache + LDAP.

A quick search in http://svn.haxx.se gives 877 results of discussion
threads on this combo.

Maybe there are other options that I have not mentioned here.

/Ram

Re: subversion authetication

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Mar 29, 2007, at 10:09, Schelling Bernhard wrote:

> I installed subversion and managed it to configure basic
> authentication only with a htpasswd file.
>
> [...]
> AuthType Basic
> AuthName "Subversion repositories"
>
> AuthUserFile /etc/subversion/svn-auth-file
> AuthzSVNAccessFile /home/subversion/repos/conf/authz
> [...]
>
> Is it possible to configure authentication without using
> a htpasswd file just taking the passwd file from my project
> directory? How would an apache configuration look like in
> that case?

When serving your repository with Apache, Subversion supports all
authentication methods made available by Apache. If this passwd file
in your project directory is in htpasswd format, then clearly you can
tell Apache where this file is and everything works fine. But if your
passwd file is in some other format, then you will need to find an
Apache module that supports authentication against that kind of
passwd file. And that may be a question best asked on an Apache
mailing list or support forum.