Posted to users@directory.apache.org by Peter Neubauer <pe...@jayway.se> on 2007/05/16 08:40:27 UTC

Email validation and default groups

Hi there,
I am trying to set up ADS with Crowd, SVN and Mailman. I have three
issues I would like to solve:

1. A system for signing up new users against ADS and changing
passwords (I think Crowd is not yet supporting this, and I don't mind
a separate page/application to handle LDAP users and profiles)

2. ADS should only accept valid mail address strings as both username
and email when trying to add a new user

3. A new user should be automatically be added to some default groups

Is that achieveable from within ADS?

Cheers

/peter

Re: Email validation and default groups

Posted by Peter Neubauer <pe...@jayway.se>.
Ok,
let me see if I can get a skeleton up early next week for you to look at.

/peter

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ak...@apache.org>.

Posted by Peter Neubauer <pe...@jayway.se>.
Alex,

Posted by Ersin Er <er...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

You may want to have a look at the
testAfterAddSubscribeUserToSomeGroups() test here:

http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/directory/apacheds/trunk/server-unit/src/test/java/org/apache/directory/server/DefaultServerTriggerServiceTest.java?view=markup

HTH,

--
Ersin

Re: Email validation and default groups

Posted by Ersin Er <er...@gmail.com>.

--
Ersin

Re: Email validation and default groups

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ak...@apache.org>.
Hi Peter,

Posted by Chris Custine <ch...@gmail.com>.
Hi Peter..

On 5/16/07, Peter Neubauer <pe...@jayway.se> wrote:

> Hi there,
> I am trying to set up ADS with Crowd, SVN and Mailman. I have three
> issues I would like to solve:
>
> 1. A system for signing up new users against ADS and changing
> passwords (I think Crowd is not yet supporting this, and I don't mind
> a separate page/application to handle LDAP users and profiles)

You would definitely have to provide the front end part on your own at the
moment.

2. ADS should only accept valid mail address strings as both username
> and email when trying to add a new user

So IIUC, you want to accept only valid email address format for uid and mail
attributes, and maybe just collect the mail address and use it for uid by
default?  In any case, the standard inetorgperson schema mail and uid
attributes are strings so the format could be any valid string.  You could
implement either an interceptor or a trigger (new in 1.5) directly in ADS,
but my thinking is that if you are already building the front end for self
registration and maintenance, it might be a lot easier to just check the
syntax and validation rules there.

3. A new user should be automatically be added to some default groups

This type of action is definitely what triggers are going to be used for,
but 1.5 is just the first implementation and we don't have the tooling yet
to make this easy to implement and maintain. As with the answer for #2, it
is probably easier to do this from the front end at the moment and
automatically add the newly created entry to the default groups right after
it is created.

Like I said, you can definitely do these things from within ADS and if thats
the route you want to take we can help you do it if you are willing to spend
a little extra effort on it.  These tasks will be much easier to implement
in ADS in upcoming releases with some additional tooling and additional
trigger options.