Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by Mark Hindess <ma...@googlemail.com> on 2006/06/06 09:33:03 UTC

[apps] azureus (was Re: [testing] AWT, Swing Java2D)

On 5 June 2006 at 19:07, "R.J. Lorimer" <rj...@coffee-bytes.com> wrote:
> For the record (I didn't gather this anywhere from this discussion),
>
> Azureus (while being a very non-trivial and cool Java application), is
> not written in AWT/Swing, it is written with SWT (the same as Eclipse).
> It's probably a good application to interact with for testing, but it's
> not an AWT/Swing test.

So I theory, this might run now!

I tried running it but get lots of error output like:

DEBUG::Tue Jun 06 08:29:39 BST 2006::com.aelitis.azureus.core.networkmanager.impl.VirtualBlockingServerChannelSelector::accept_loop::138:
    VirtualBlockingServerChannelSelector$1::runSupport::85,AEThread::run::69
java.nio.channels.NotYetBoundException
        at org.apache.harmony.nio.internal.ServerSocketChannelImpl.accept(ServerSocketChannelImpl.java:125)
        at com.aelitis.azureus.core.networkmanager.impl.VirtualBlockingServerChannelSelector.accept_loop(VirtualBlockingServerChannelSelector.java:129)
        at com.aelitis.azureus.core.networkmanager.impl.VirtualBlockingServerChannelSelector$1.runSupport(VirtualBlockingServerChannelSelector.java:85)
        at org.gudy.azureus2.core3.util.AEThread.run(AEThread.java:69)

Definitely seems like a good thing to get working - it certainly
exercises quite a bit of the networking code.

Regards,
 Mark.

Re: [apps] azureus (was Re: [testing] AWT, Swing Java2D)

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.
This page [1] has the start of a list of applications.  As always, it is
lagging behind the current capabilities.

[1] http://wiki.apache.org/harmony/ClassLibrary

Regards,
Tim

--

Tim Ellison (t.p.ellison@gmail.com)
IBM Java technology centre, UK.

Re: [apps] azureus (was Re: [testing] AWT, Swing Java2D)

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.
I tried running Azureus a while ago and found that it needed an SSL
provider that we didn't have at the time (but have since got in JIRA),
and that there were some hard-coded assumptions that it was running on
Sun/Classpath -- I'd have to go back and re-run my experiment 'cos I had
to reclaim the disk space.

I think this walkback is a knock-on effect of not having a connected
secure socket (look for an earlier error).

Regards,
Tim

Posted by Anton Luht <an...@gmail.com>.
Done.

Anton.

On 6/8/06, Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com> wrote:
> Could you post that as a JIRA entry?
>
> geir
>
> Anton Luht wrote:
> > Good day,
> >
> > I've tried to run Azureus, too, and saw all those problems (no SSL
> > provider, NotYetBoundException), too.
> >
> > I've also seen messages
> > 'VirtualChannelSelector.select() op called with null selector'
> >
> > Digging the code I've found that the problem is that Selector.open()
> > returns null (not null in RI)
> >
> > Test case is:
> >
> > public class Test {
> >    public static void main(String args[]) throws Exception {
> >      System.err.println(java.nio.channels.Selector.open() != null ?
> >         "PASSED" : "FAILED");
> >    }
> > }
> >
> > I've built RE manually using today SVN snapshot (412715) and
> > Harmony-vme-win.IA32-v3.zip as described in Harmony documentation
> >

> > On 6/6/06, Mark Hindess <ma...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> >> So I theory, this might run now!
> >>
> >> I tried running it but get lots of error output like:
> >>
> >> DEBUG::Tue Jun 06 08:29:39 BST
> >> 2006::com.aelitis.azureus.core.networkmanager.impl.VirtualBlockingServerChannelSelector::accept_loop::138:
> >>

> >> VirtualBlockingServerChannelSelector$1::runSupport::85,AEThread::run::69
> >> java.nio.channels.NotYetBoundException
> >>        at
> >> org.apache.harmony.nio.internal.ServerSocketChannelImpl.accept(ServerSocketChannelImpl.java:125)
> >>
> >>        at
> >> com.aelitis.azureus.core.networkmanager.impl.VirtualBlockingServerChannelSelector.accept_loop(VirtualBlockingServerChannelSelector.java:129)
> >>
> >>        at
> >> com.aelitis.azureus.core.networkmanager.impl.VirtualBlockingServerChannelSelector$1.runSupport(VirtualBlockingServerChannelSelector.java:85)
> >>
> >>        at org.gudy.azureus2.core3.util.AEThread.run(AEThread.java:69)
> >>
> >> Definitely seems like a good thing to get working - it certainly
> >> exercises quite a bit of the networking code.
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >>  Mark.

Anton Luht,
Intel Middleware Products Division

Re: [apps] azureus (was Re: [testing] AWT, Swing Java2D)

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com>.

Posted by Anton Luht <an...@gmail.com>.
> How did you get past the initialization part?
> I have put my experiences here:
>    http://wiki.apache.org/harmony/Azureus

I have same messages as you put in wiki in the very beginning, and
select() problems happen later - after the point you gave up :)

Posted by Anton Luht <an...@gmail.com>.
I've tried to run Azureus on Windows XP from NAT-ed network - with RI
it worked fine,  with Harmony (classlib revision 415631) an error
appeared:

'Too many successive failures occured on port 55255, UDP - processing
abandoned. Please check firewall settings for this port to ensure that
it is enabled for receiving connections'

Posted by Anton Luht <an...@gmail.com>.
> Cool -- can't wait to try it.
>
> Did you have to hack any of the Azureus code assumptions to get it
> working? (i.e. BKS or HARMONY-536 JSSE provider)

No, I just ran it 'as is' - old errors are in place:

DEBUG::Tue Jun 20 18:25:02 MSD
2006::org.gudy.azureus2.core3.security.impl.SESecurityManagerImpl::initialise::137:
  No SSL provider available
DEBUG::Tue Jun 20 18:25:02 MSD
2006::org.gudy.azureus2.core3.security.impl.SESecurityManagerImpl::ensureStoreExists::408:
  java.security.KeyStoreException: KeyStore JKS implementation not found

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.
Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:

> Thorbjørn Ravn Andersen wrote:
>> Tim Ellison skrev  den 21-06-2006 11:58:
>>> The build instructions are here [1], let me know if they need updating.
>> Just got around to update and check.
>>
>> The reference to the build.xml file in the help text shown if the
>> dependencies have not been downloaded does not reflect that it now is
>> "ant -f make/depends.xml download" instead.
>
> That's only because I took out the "make/" in the error message, which
> was there forever (and didn't make sense), except since the change
> yeterday, it now makes sense to have it there :)

People should use the 'fetch-depends' target in the top-level build.xml.
 The stuff in make/ is the inner-workings of the build scripts.

Regards,
Tim

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com>.

Posted by Thorbjørn Ravn Andersen <th...@gmail.com>.
Tim Ellison skrev  den 22-06-2006 10:37:

> Given that ECJ is now a dependency for our emerging javac tool, perhaps
> we should make it the default in the build system too?

Sounds like a good idea.  It also loosens the initial Java requirement
on the
host system to be a JRE instead of a JDK.

I just built classlib with the ecj compiler adapter and build.xml, so it
should be trivial to change.

--
  Thorbjørn

Re: [apps] azureus (was Re: [testing] AWT, Swing Java2D)

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.
Thorbjørn Ravn Andersen wrote:
> Tim Ellison skrev  den 21-06-2006 11:58:
>> The build instructions are here [1], let me know if they need updating.
> Just got around to update and check.
>
> The reference to the build.xml file in the help text shown if the
> dependencies have not been downloaded does not reflect that it now is
> "ant -f make/depends.xml download" instead.

Not sure that I understand...

I just removed a dependency and did a default build, it complains like this:

====
Missing dependency.  The jar from:

  http://www.ibiblio.org/maven/xalan/jars/xalan-2.7.0.jar

should be downloaded to:

  depends/jars/xalan-j_2.7.0/xalan.jar

Run "ant fetch-depends" to automatically fetch dependencies.
Note: Some of Harmony's dependencies are licensed under terms other
than the Apache License v2.

Total time: 0 seconds
====

Then 'ant fetch-depends' went to get it for me.
(This was changed within the last three days or so.)

>>  For example, I think they may need to catch up with the build.xml file
>> movement that took place yesterday.
>>
>> [1]
>> http://incubator.apache.org/harmony/subcomponents/classlibrary/build_classlib.html
>>

> While it is building I would like to mention that the primary reason why
> I did what I did was to see if it was necessary at all to download Sun's
> JDK (to get tools.jar) to build on Ubuntu.
>
> It isn't - by downloading ecj and telling ant to use it - you can get by
> just with a JRE or a clone like gcj (or perhaps kaffe), which is
> available in the default repositories.
>
> Personally I like this approach the best :)

Yep, we have had enough code to host our own build scripts for a while
now :-)

Posted by Thorbjørn Ravn Andersen <th...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.

Posted by Thorbjørn Ravn Andersen <th...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Anton Luht wrote:
> Great progress - it started and looks similar to Azureus launched on RI.
>
> Unfortunately I'm behind a firewall so I can't test it fully (and,
> frankly speaking, I've never used it before I tried to run it on
> Harmony so I don't know for sure how to use it properly :) )

Azureus is probably one of the most stressing software for the JVM,
network-wise and graphically-wise. The graphical part is handled by SWT
so it's not really much for us, but the network part, especially the
multiple UDP/TCP shuffling and tons of established network connections
and files opened is critical.

Also, the fact that you normally let it run for days if not weeks
creates a huge challenge for the JVM for memory leaks, OS resource
cleanups and the like.

I recently tried Azureus on Ubuntu6 with the GCJ that comes with it and
it kept giving me NullPointerExceptions after a day or so of continuous
operation, so I installed sun's java5 and it worked like a charm.

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.
Paulex Yang wrote:
> Anton and Tim,
>
> FYI, the Selector implementation has been merged into SVN as patch of
> Harmony-41 at revision 415279. So it should be ready to use now. Thank you.

Cool -- thanks Paulex.

Can you easily repeat the experiment Anton?  It would be good if you put
your method on the apps wiki page http://wiki.apache.org/harmony/Azureus
so I can get further too.

Regards,
Tim

Posted by Paulex Yang <pa...@gmail.com>.
Anton and Tim,

Tim Ellison wrote:
> Anton Luht wrote:
>
>> Good day,
>>
>> I've tried to run Azureus, too, and saw all those problems (no SSL
>> provider, NotYetBoundException), too.
>>
>> I've also seen messages
>> 'VirtualChannelSelector.select() op called with null selector'
>>
>> Digging the code I've found that the problem is that Selector.open()
>> returns null (not null in RI)
>>

> How did you get past the initialization part?
> I have put my experiences here:
>     http://wiki.apache.org/harmony/Azureus
>

>> Test case is:
>>
>> public class Test {
>>    public static void main(String args[]) throws Exception {
>>      System.err.println(java.nio.channels.Selector.open() != null ?
>>         "PASSED" : "FAILED");
>>    }
>> }
>>

> Hmm, the Harmony impl looks like this:
>
> 	public AbstractSelector openSelector() throws IOException {
> //		return new SelectorImpl(this);
> 		//FIXME: wait for JIRA-41
> 		return null;
> 	}
>
> Time to speak to Paulex nicely and see if he is working on it ;-)
>
> Regards,
> Tim
>

>> I've built RE manually using today SVN snapshot (412715) and
>> Harmony-vme-win.IA32-v3.zip as described in Harmony documentation
>>

>> On 6/6/06, Mark Hindess <ma...@googlemail.com> wrote:

>>> So I theory, this might run now!
>>>
>>> I tried running it but get lots of error output like:
>>>
>>> DEBUG::Tue Jun 06 08:29:39 BST
>>> 2006::com.aelitis.azureus.core.networkmanager.impl.VirtualBlockingServerChannelSelector::accept_loop::138:
>>>

>>> VirtualBlockingServerChannelSelector$1::runSupport::85,AEThread::run::69
>>> java.nio.channels.NotYetBoundException
>>>        at
>>> org.apache.harmony.nio.internal.ServerSocketChannelImpl.accept(ServerSocketChannelImpl.java:125)
>>>
>>>        at
>>> com.aelitis.azureus.core.networkmanager.impl.VirtualBlockingServerChannelSelector.accept_loop(VirtualBlockingServerChannelSelector.java:129)
>>>
>>>        at
>>> com.aelitis.azureus.core.networkmanager.impl.VirtualBlockingServerChannelSelector$1.runSupport(VirtualBlockingServerChannelSelector.java:85)
>>>
>>>        at org.gudy.azureus2.core3.util.AEThread.run(AEThread.java:69)
>>>
>>> Definitely seems like a good thing to get working - it certainly
>>> exercises quite a bit of the networking code.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>  Mark.

Paulex Yang
China Software Development Lab
IBM

Re: [apps] azureus (was Re: [testing] AWT, Swing Java2D)

Posted by Paulex Yang <pa...@gmail.com>.
Tim Ellison wrote:
> Anton Luht wrote:
>
>> Good day,
>>
>> I've tried to run Azureus, too, and saw all those problems (no SSL
>> provider, NotYetBoundException), too.
>>
>> I've also seen messages
>> 'VirtualChannelSelector.select() op called with null selector'
>>
>> Digging the code I've found that the problem is that Selector.open()
>> returns null (not null in RI)
>>

> How did you get past the initialization part?
> I have put my experiences here:
>     http://wiki.apache.org/harmony/Azureus
>

>> Test case is:
>>
>> public class Test {
>>    public static void main(String args[]) throws Exception {
>>      System.err.println(java.nio.channels.Selector.open() != null ?
>>         "PASSED" : "FAILED");
>>    }
>> }
>>

> Hmm, the Harmony impl looks like this:
>
> 	public AbstractSelector openSelector() throws IOException {
> //		return new SelectorImpl(this);
> 		//FIXME: wait for JIRA-41
> 		return null;
> 	}
>
> Time to speak to Paulex nicely and see if he is working on it ;-)

Ooops... Sorry for lagging others down...

The other patch for 41 is on its way, but it's Pipe implementation. I've
got part of Selector implementation in hand, and I'll make it higher
priority than it is now.

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.

Posted by Anton Luht <an...@gmail.com>.
Good day,