Posted to dev@groovy.apache.org by Pascal Schumacher <pa...@gmx.net> on 2016/03/06 10:37:49 UTC

Release 2.5 Beta?

Hello everybody,

as far as I remember there was wide support for releasing a 2.5 beta in
the "Release 2.4.6 and 2.5.0-beta?" discussion.

The release announcement for 2.4.6 contained the sentence "... be
prepared for a 2.5.0-beta release soon!". Tomorrow that will be two
weeks ago, so I think we should make some plans when we start the
release vote and who will be able to serve as a release manager.

What do you think?

Cheers,
Pascal

Re: Release 2.5 Beta?

Posted by Pascal Schumacher <pa...@gmx.net>.
Hi Nick,

Am 12.03.2016 um 00:05 schrieb Nicholas Grealy:
> Just some questions for the broader dev community:
>
>   * Who can perform the release?

As far as I know Guillaume, Jochen und Paul should also have the
necessary knowledge and access rights to do a release.

>   * Is there anything outstanding for a 2.5 beta release? - Whoever's
>     we're waiting on, can we get an update?

There was some talk improving the macro feature, but the last commit
related to the feature was a year ago. So we should either postpone it
(if it is not ready) or release it in the current state. The macro
feature is also missing documentation, but that can be added after the
beta release.

>   * Do we need a VOTE thread for a beta release?

If I understand
http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html correctly beta
release need to be voted on.

Cheers,
Pascal

Re: Release 2.5 Beta?

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.
I will definitely be voting for a release called mushroom ;-)

Re: Release 2.5 Beta?

Posted by Nicholas Grealy <ni...@gmail.com>.
+1 for mushroom :-)

Re: Release 2.5 Beta?

Posted by Nicholas Grealy <ni...@gmail.com>.
Unless I'm mistaken, I don't think anyone is actively objecting to "not
having docs for macros" for the beta...

Can the release manager please post the VOTE for a "2.5-MUSHROOM" beta
release?

Re: Release 2.5 Beta?

Posted by Guillaume Laforge <gl...@gmail.com>.
Well, without releases, they won't even try either ;-)

Re: Release 2.5 Beta?

Posted by Cédric Champeau <ce...@gmail.com>.

Re: Release 2.5 Beta?

Posted by Guillaume Laforge <gl...@gmail.com>.
Aren't there any unit tests to point people to?

Re: Release 2.5 Beta?

Posted by Cédric Champeau <ce...@gmail.com>.

Re: Release 2.5 Beta?

Posted by Guillaume Laforge <gl...@gmail.com>.

--
Guillaume Laforge

Re: Release 2.5 Beta?

Posted by Shil Sinha <sh...@gmail.com>.

Re: Release 2.5 Beta?

Posted by Guillaume Laforge <gl...@gmail.com>.
At least we can point to some unit tests which give already an idea of how
it can be used?

--
Guillaume Laforge

Re: Release 2.5 Beta?

Posted by Cédric Champeau <ce...@gmail.com>.
So does everyone agree that we should release the beta even if it's missing
docs for macros? I think it's a bit of a problem, still, when it's really

Re: Release 2.5 Beta?

Posted by Suderman Keith <su...@cs.vassar.edu>.

Re: Release 2.5 Beta?

Posted by Guillaume Laforge <gl...@gmail.com>.