Posted to jmeter-dev@jakarta.apache.org by sebb <se...@gmail.com> on 2006/11/01 12:58:14 UTC

Re: Multiple Scheduled Times

Use the delay and duration fields instead of the start and end-times.

I assume each run will be a separate test.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 01/11/06, Eric Dalquist <er...@doit.wisc.edu> wrote:
> Delay and duration don't seem to do much different than the start/end
> times, at least I don't see the behavior of being able to configure
> jMeter to start and stop over and over again on a specific schedule.

The difference is that you can easily define these using properties,
which you can pass in on the command line.

> I have this requirement from another group that wants load on a server
> every weekday from 1pm to 8pm and I would prefer to not have to reset
> jMeter by hand each day. My 'goal' would be to go into the ThreadGroup
> (or anywhere for that matter) and have a configuration option to say run
> a test from X to Y every week on every weekday. They don't necessarily
> need to be different tests, they could be the same test that just pauses
> the threads for some time between each run window.
> After looking at the code adding the necessary config code to the
> ThreadGroupGui and ThreadGroup classes is easy. I'm just not sure the
> best way to modify StandardJMeterEngine.run() to deal with a ThreadGroup
> that has a recurring schedule.
>
> Another option would be to add some sort of scheduler to the Run menu
> that would call Start and Stop at specific times on a repeating basis.
>
> Am I going the complete wrong way with this or does it sounds semi-sane?

Does it make sense to aggregate all the test run data?
If not, then you need to start Jmeter for each run.

If you do want to keep JMeter running permanently, then it should not
be too difficult to use the BeanShell timer to stop the test at a
certain time and restart it later.

Or indeed to create a new Timer that does the same.

But in this case you won't necessarily be able to use the sample data
until the test has finished. [You can add a summariser to get some
idea of test progress.]

Posted by Eric Dalquist <er...@doit.wisc.edu>.