Posted to user@turbine.apache.org by Hebeisen Andy <an...@softline-intra.ch> on 2001/04/30 00:37:10 UTC

Catalina vs. Tomcat 3.2 --- class reloading and speed

I spent some time this weekend to compare Tomcat 3.2 with Catalina (CVS
checkout from 27.4.2001) while running our application built on turbine (JDK
1.3 on Win NT 4.0 SP6a)

There are two things that I think it's worth telling about in this mail
list:
--- 1st
The stuff executes faster on Tomcat 3.2 than with Catalina.
--- 2nd
Reloading of recompiled classes (screens, actions etc.) works fine with
Tomcat 3.2. It seems to be broken with catalina (or config in server.xml has
changed ???).

And here is my question:
Is there a reason, why I should NOT use Turbine with Tomcat 3.2 in our
production system (Sun E220R with Solaris 8)?

Thanks in advance
Andy Hebeisen

softline intra
CH-8472 Seuzach
mailto:andy.hebeisen@softline-intra.ch

Re: Catalina vs. Tomcat 3.2 --- class reloading and speed

Posted by Steve Ruby <st...@rubysolutions.com>.

I still run into class reloading problems with 3.2.1 on NT and Linux,
it works most of the time, but sometimes the server has to be restarted
upon failure. But as far as Turbine is concerned, all of the features
of turbine are suppored within Tomcat 3.2 I see no reason not to use
the must stable and fast servlet engine you can find, you dont'
even have to stick with apache...