Posted to user@storm.apache.org by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@gmail.com> on 2014/04/11 15:11:21 UTC

How dynamic are spouts/bolts in a topology?

Hi,

I'm wondering how dynamic topologies are for most Storm users?
That is, do people tend to have topologies with a more or less fixed type
(and number?) of spouts & bolts?  Or do people have topologies where
different types of spouts & bolts are regularly being added/removed?

I'm asking because some of our SPM users who use it to monitor Storm
performance metrics are asking if they can see metrics for their spouts and
bolts.  We didn't collect these metrics in the SPM based on the assumption
that topologies are very dynamic, meaning that spouts and bolts change a
lot and one would end up with a messy pile of different kinds of bolts &
spouts in the SPM UI, but.....

.... now I'm wondering, is this actually a correct assumption?  I now get
the feeling most people have 1 or more topologies with a more or less fixed
types (and even number?) of spouts & bolts.

Could anyone please enlighten me?

Thanks,
Otis

Re: How dynamic are spouts/bolts in a topology?

Posted by Jason Jackson <ja...@gmail.com>.
storm only allows static topologies. however you could always create a
fully connected graph, and then implement CustomStreamGrouping with your
own dynamic logic.

Posted by "M.Tarkeshwar Rao" <ta...@gmail.com>.
Hi All,

Posted by Srinath C <sr...@gmail.com>.