Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by zander1013 <za...@gmail.com> on 2009/02/20 02:55:08 UTC

empty log file...

hi,

i am setting up hadoop for the first time on multi-node cluster. right now i
have two nodes. the two node cluster consists of two laptops connected via
ad-hoc wifi network. they they do not have access to the internet. i
formated the datanodes on both machines prior to startup...

output form the commands /usr/local/hadoop/bin/start-all.sh, jps (on both
machines), and /usr/local/hadoop/bin/stop-all.sh all appear normal. however
the file /usr/local/hadoop/logs/hadoop-hadoop-datanode-node1.log (the slave
node) is empty.

the same file for the master node shows the startup and shutdown events as
normal and without error.

is it okay that the log file on the slave is empty?

zander

Re: empty log file...

Posted by Rasit OZDAS <ra...@gmail.com>.
Zander,
I've looked at my datanode logs on the slaves, but they are all in quite
small sizes, although we've run many jobs on them.
And running 2 new jobs also didn't add anything to them.
(As I understand from the contents of the logs, hadoop logs especially
operations about DFS performance tests.)

Cheers,
Rasit

2009/2/20 zander1013 <za...@gmail.com>

> hi,
>
> i am setting up hadoop for the first time on multi-node cluster. right now
> have two nodes. the two node cluster consists of two laptops connected via
> ad-hoc wifi network. they they do not have access to the internet. i
> formated the datanodes on both machines prior to startup...
>
> output form the commands /usr/local/hadoop/bin/start-all.sh, jps (on both
> machines), and /usr/local/hadoop/bin/stop-all.sh all appear normal. however
> the file /usr/local/hadoop/logs/hadoop-hadoop-datanode-node1.log (the slave
> node) is empty.
>
> the same file for the master node shows the startup and shutdown events as
> normal and without error.
>
> is it okay that the log file on the slave is empty?
>
> zander

M. Raşit ÖZDAŞ