Posted to mirrors@apache.org by Mirror Hostiran <Mi...@hostiran.com> on 2017/05/18 08:15:05 UTC

Is possible to lunched Appache mirror in iran

Hello Dears

I  would like to lunch an Official Apache mirror in Iran   ,  Do you have any restricted law for my country ?

So tnx

RE: Is possible to lunched Appache mirror in iran

Posted by "Henk P. Penning" <pe...@uu.nl>.
On Wed, 31 May 2017, Cem Karaca wrote:

> Date: Wed, 31 May 2017 12:48:29 +0200
> From: Cem Karaca <ck...@veriteknik.com>
> To: mirrors@apache.org
> Subject: RE: Is possible to lunched Appache mirror in iran

Hi,

> Please let me know if you want to sync from Turkey,

   Getting a 'feed' is /not/ the problem.
   Everybody can rsync from rsync.apache.org and set up a mirror.

> Cem Karaca

   Regards,

   Henk Penning

Henk P. Penning, ICT-beta                 R Uithof HFG-406   _/ \_
Budapestlaan 6, 3584CD Utrecht, NL        F +31 30 253 4553 \_/ \_/
http://www.staff.science.uu.nl/~penni101/ M penning@uu.nl     \_/

Posted by Cem Karaca <ck...@veriteknik.com>.
Hello

Please let me know if you want to sync from Turkey,

Regards

Cem Karaca

<http://www.adobe.com/>  and ODF <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenDocument>

Posted by Noel Butler <no...@ausics.net>.
On 31/05/2017 08:00, Ahamed Bauani wrote:

> I really encourage you to go ahead with your plan for hosting Iranian mirror of Apache repository even ASF don't listed your mirror as 'official one'. As per my personal believe first target for any mirror maintainer to give local community high

I agree, a reminder however that only USA mirrors and ASF are bound by
USA law, which has no legal standing in other countries, so perhaps a
mirror not based in the USA, such as in Europe, can reach out to this
person and setup an rsync feed for them so they can host a mirror, even
if its not an official one.

--

Kind Regards,

Noel Butler

 		This Email, including any attachments, may contain legally privileged
information, therefore remains confidential and subject to copyright
protected under international law. You may not disseminate, discuss, or
reveal, any part, to anyone, without the authors express written
authority to do so. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify
the sender then delete all copies of this message including attachments,
immediately. Confidentiality, copyright, and legal privilege are not
waived or lost by reason of the mistaken delivery of this message. Only
PDF [1] and ODF [2] documents accepted, please do not send proprietary
formatted documents

Links:
------
[1] http://www.adobe.com/
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenDocument

Re: Is possible to lunched Appache mirror in iran

Posted by Ahamed Bauani <ba...@gmail.com>.
Hello Everyone;

Good Morning ( As per my local timezone) .

Discussion regarding possibility of having an official Apache mirror hosted
on physically on Iran or a mirror administrate by person living/citizen of
Iran is really interesting.

I want to appreciate reply from both Mr. Henk Penning and  Daniel Shahaf
for their concern about allowing mirror listed on official list when it
related to controversial country like Iran. I also think ASF (apache.org)
is big enough organization to not have any gray area just because of
USA-government "may" consider having Iran in official network of
distributing public software. If anyone become interested to host mirror on
country like Iran ASF board should really have clear decision about
allowing them or to reject them as per jurisdiction's laws where foundation
was incorporated. Don't forget about the pressure from local government for
the organization or person taking initiative to host a mirror of US based
organization.

I am also not a lawyer or expertise on US law in general. But if visitor
from Iran can access and download data from ASF official site individually,
allowing someone from same network/country for having a mirror ( a local
copy of repository in reality) shouldn't annoyed govt. Also as it is easy
for ASF board to remove listing at any time in case of possible difficulty,
we expect some positive responce on this issue. Please have some 2nd
thought on this.

For the person asked about possibility of having apache mirror on Iran
( Mirror Hostiran <Mi...@hostiran.com>):

I really encourage you to go ahead with your plan for hosting Iranian
mirror of Apache repository even ASF don't listed your mirror as 'official
one'. As per my personal believe first target for any mirror maintainer to
give local community high speed access of mirrored content, second comes
the goodwill & other issue. I really don't know current status of your
network for having access of ASF official site without any problem. If your
network user can visit official site of ASF as like all around world, I
will sagest you to prepare the mirror with official tech and other
guideline of ASF and keep serving your local/nearest visitor like any other
normal mirror on official list. ASF might not give you official status for
really complex scenario of political issue, community living near you, at
least inside your country will have real benefit from your effort. As your
effort is not extraordinary then other visitor of ASF official site, you
are not committing any crime with your mirror for sure. After that time
will say if your mirror can get some place on official mirror list. Even
ASF incorporated and operate under US law, we the big community of Apache
foundation are spread around every corner of our world. Who knows if any
big amount of community member start asking to give your mirror official
status in near future.

Thank you everyone for your effort. It is reality that we live on a world
where strange law, rules, culture divide us. But it is also true, we the
community supporting free software movement is trying to give equal rights
for every human who want freedom.

Let's see where it goes; but first a mirror should pop-up from country in
question to have further development.

Have a nice day!

Regards & Best Wishes

Noor Ahamed Bauani

HP: +880-1818-BAUANI (Text Preferred)
[ Sent from Mobile Device; Kindly Excuse Tyops.]

Posted by "Henk P. Penning" <pe...@uu.nl>.

Posted by Daniel Shahaf <da...@apache.org>.
Good morning Ahamed,

Ahamed Bauani wrote on Sun, 28 May 2017 18:33 +0600:
> Apache Foundation do not influence on any political issue. As long as there
> is no technical issue with mirrors and all requirement of having an
> official mirror are meet, everybody welcome to host apache official mirror.

While you're correct that the ASF is apolitical, it is incorporated in the USA and
is subject to that jurisdiction's laws.  It is possible that those laws make it
illegal for ASF to have an official mirror in Iran.  I'm not a lawyer and don't
know what the legal situation is, but I am sure Henk will have an official answer
when he sees this thread.

Daniel

Re: Is possible to lunched Appache mirror in iran

Posted by Ahamed Bauani <ba...@gmail.com>.
Hi,