Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Jeffrey Bonevich <je...@bonevich.com> on 2003/12/10 01:19:20 UTC

[SOOT] Maven IDE

Jason -

Saw your post on Maven Dairies regarding Maven IDE.

http://blogs.codehaus.org/projects/maven/archives/000276.html

Just curious, what is a 'Maven IDE' and what would the relationship be
with mevenide project?

jeff

--
jeff bonevich
mailto: jeff@bonevich.com

Arthur C. Clarke

build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying
to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."
Rich Cook

"All programmers are playwrights and all computers are lousy actors."
Unknown

Re: [SOOT] Maven IDE

Posted by Jeffrey Bonevich <je...@bonevich.com>.
Jason van Zyl wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-12-09 at 19:19, Jeffrey Bonevich wrote:
>
>>Jason -
>>
>>Saw your post on Maven Dairies regarding Maven IDE.
>>
>>http://blogs.codehaus.org/projects/maven/archives/000276.html
>>
>>Just curious, what is a 'Maven IDE' and what would the relationship be
>>with mevenide project?
>

> I've always wanted to write a small IDE so I'm going to make one based
> entirely on Maven. I'm leveraging several commercial packages in
> particular all the Jide Software Components and JGoodies. The JideSoft
> stuff in particular focuses on IDE components things like dockable
> windows and toolboxes and a slew of other components and the JGoodies
> stuff has superb l&f tools, great form support and good components as
> well. So with these two packages I'm hoping to make a very simple tool
> to start with for navigating projects and building them. Later I'll
> expand and add an editor (I have one based on the MIT lic'd version of
> JEdit) and various other things. All this stuff will be BSD lic'd and
> I'll give whatever I can away barring any restrictions imposed by using
> the commercial components. But I can live with that because I want to
> make a quality tool, quickly, that works and there are thousands of man
> hours in the two packages above that I just wouldn't be able to
> replicate. And I don't want to, I just want to make an IDE.

Cool.  I look forward to hearing about its progress, maybe even
contribute given that I am currently working with Gilles on mevenide.

> Eventually I will integrate Werkflow and Drools to try and work toward
> making a tool to help with things like stringent release processes, site
> management and whatever else I've thought about but forget ATM. In this
> I will probably integrate some serious visualization stuff using either
> the YWorks graph packages or the JViews components from ILOG. These run
> anywhere from 3-6k and possible runtime/distribution fees so this
> incarnation will not be free.
>
> I have honestly not looked at Mevenide in quite some time but I'm sure
> we could share a lot or all of the model, but I have zero interest in
> SWT and even less in Eclipse. I'm an IDEA fan so that's what I'll be
> trying to emulate but I'm certain the entire model could be shared
> between Mevenide and my thingy.

I think so as well.  The way mevenide has been designed so far is that
it wants more than just an Eclipse/SWT plugin; it has a core of
functionality that should be useable by any IDE/plugin.  We are
currently working on the eclipse-specific part of it, but regularly
contributing stuff back to the core if it has general-purpose utility.
For example, Maven does not incorporate any kind of change event
notification mechanism.  I have created a POM comparator for detecting
project changes, not on the fly but at least when requested.  There is
also a report finder component that Gilles has created that is very
generally useful, etc.  I would say it might be very appropriate to
incorporate your IDE into mevenide, but you might not be able to go that
way given the proprietary software involved.

Eclipse vs IDEA? Sounds like vi vs emacs all over again... ;-)

thanx for the update!

jeff

Re: [SOOT] Maven IDE

Posted by Jason van Zyl <jv...@maven.org>.
On Tue, 2003-12-09 at 19:19, Jeffrey Bonevich wrote:
> Jason -
>
> Saw your post on Maven Dairies regarding Maven IDE.
>
> http://blogs.codehaus.org/projects/maven/archives/000276.html
>
> Just curious, what is a 'Maven IDE' and what would the relationship be
> with mevenide project?

I've always wanted to write a small IDE so I'm going to make one based
entirely on Maven. I'm leveraging several commercial packages in
particular all the Jide Software Components and JGoodies. The JideSoft
stuff in particular focuses on IDE components things like dockable
windows and toolboxes and a slew of other components and the JGoodies
stuff has superb l&f tools, great form support and good components as
well. So with these two packages I'm hoping to make a very simple tool
to start with for navigating projects and building them. Later I'll
expand and add an editor (I have one based on the MIT lic'd version of
JEdit) and various other things. All this stuff will be BSD lic'd and
I'll give whatever I can away barring any restrictions imposed by using
the commercial components. But I can live with that because I want to
make a quality tool, quickly, that works and there are thousands of man
hours in the two packages above that I just wouldn't be able to
replicate. And I don't want to, I just want to make an IDE.

Eventually I will integrate Werkflow and Drools to try and work toward
making a tool to help with things like stringent release processes, site
management and whatever else I've thought about but forget ATM. In this
I will probably integrate some serious visualization stuff using either
the YWorks graph packages or the JViews components from ILOG. These run
anywhere from 3-6k and possible runtime/distribution fees so this
incarnation will not be free.

I have honestly not looked at Mevenide in quite some time but I'm sure
we could share a lot or all of the model, but I have zero interest in
SWT and even less in Eclipse. I'm an IDEA fan so that's what I'll be
trying to emulate but I'm certain the entire model could be shared
between Mevenide and my thingy.

[1] http://www.jidesoft.com/company/index.htm
[2] http://www.jgoodies.com/
[3] http://www.yworks.com/en/products_yfiles_about.htm