Posted to general@xerces.apache.org by cr...@goingware.com on 2000/02/18 00:28:52 UTC

seeking beta test developers

Hi,

A friend of mine, Andy Green, has been working on a cross
platform code library for several years that he wants to release as
open source soon.

It includes a GUI toolkit and lightweight database access (that is,
direct access to its own format for database files via C++, not SQL
access).  The database is particularly nice in that the databases
are single files, great for using them as an application document
format.

I've been using it in my current project, and it's really nice.  Andy
wants to have a small number of expert developers try writing with
it.  It would probably be best to develop a real product with it, but it
would probably be sufficient to just screw around with it or read the
source code.

As I've just posted here, there are some gotchas in the code; I did
something with the API that I thought was reasonable and it
corrupted the heap.  After talking with Andy, he thought one should
be able to do what I want to do, so he's going to look into fixing it.

I'll be managing the test so Andy can concentrate on polishing it up
for the general release.

While I'm calling it a beta, it's not really a beta product, it's in real
use in some commercial products.

You can write a single set of sources and recompile to target
Windows, MacOS, BeOS, and XWindows.

Unlike some attempts at cross-platform API's that have failed, it is
not cross platform.  In some cases you have to put an #ifdef and
write a little bit of platform-specific code.  The API does something
like 99% of it for you, and leaving out the remaining 1% I think is a
big part of what makes it work as well as it does.

I've had to be dragged kicking and screaming into developing
windows applications, but using Andy's API I find it a pleasure to
develop windows programs.  I think so far I've had to make three
windows API calls directly in my whole program.

Please send requests to crawford@goingware.com - it might be
best to give a mention of your level of expertise; the library is easy
enough to be used by anyone comfortable with C++, but because
we'll be critiquing the library itself, I'd like people that are more
towards the expert end.

Mike Crawford
http://www.goingware.com
crawford@goingware.com