Posted to community@apache.org by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com> on 2003/09/24 00:08:47 UTC

Apachecon: The Guru Is In

We tried to do this last year, but nobody really took charge of it, so
it didn't happen. But this year, we're going to make it happen.

I'd like to have a "The Guru Is In" table in the lounge/lab area, and
have it manned throughout the conference. Ideally, we'd like people from
as broad a range of projects as possible, so that I don't have to answer
questions about Tomcat and POI and various other things that I'm utterly
ignorant of.

There will be a signup sheet at the conference, but I'd like to get an
idea now whether we're going to have enough participants to make this
work.

--
Rich Bowen - Rbowen@RCBowen.com
Apache Cookbook - http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/apacheckbk/

Re: Apachecon: The Guru Is In

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.
Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:

>Rich Bowen wrote:
>

>>OK, I added on in cvs, and then read your note. So it's your preference
>>that these not be going on during sessions? That leaves very little time
>>- just the lunch and coffee breaks. My thought hat been to have these be
>>going on while sessions were going on for the few folks that were not
>>going to be in a talk at the time. Please let me know if folks think
>>that this is a problem.
>>

>i like the idea of having them during sessions.  diversity is good,
>and since it's so free-format, and the same gurus can come back
>(bwb -- bribed with beer) for encores, i think it's a win.

It also gives us Java gurus something to do during the PHP sessions
:-).  And vice versa, of course :-).

Craig

Re: Apachecon: The Guru Is In

Posted by Mads Toftum <ma...@toftum.dk>.
On Wed, Sep 24, 2003 at 12:57:08PM -0400, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:
> i like the idea of having them during sessions.  diversity is good,
> and since it's so free-format, and the same gurus can come back
> (bwb -- bribed with beer) for encores, i think it's a win.

Yeah, I think during the day will be better too - as I'd rather spend my
evenings in the bar ... maybe if we moved "The Guru Is In" to the bar
(which would also make it much easier for people to bribe^Wreward us
for our help ;)

vh

Mads Toftum
--
Speaking at http://ApacheCon.com/
T03, "Apache 2 mod_ssl tutorial" (3h)

Re: Apachecon: The Guru Is In

Posted by Mads Toftum <ma...@toftum.dk>.
On Sun, Sep 28, 2003 at 09:57:07PM +0100, Pier Fumagalli wrote:
> Pushing the idea of a "guru" (IMVHO) is exactly the opposite of pushing the
> idea of a community. It's a single individual over the bazillion of people
> behind this or that project, and I wouldn't want it to be seen as a
> "serious" figure promoted by the foundation...

I think you're reading a whole lot more into a name than what was originally
intended. I think the idea originated last year on #apache where we talked
about bringing something like the help we provide there to the conference.
The idea was simply to give the less experienced a place to turn with those
everyday config/bug issues that they might have.
So the whole idea was just to provide a little help.

vh

Mads Toftum

Re: Apachecon: The Guru Is In

Posted by Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@webweaving.org>.
> And why to not tell it direct. Many of the commiter are considered Apache
> gurus. That is true.

or s/committer/community/g

Dw.

PS: Right we are all individuals^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^HGuru's.

Re: Apachecon: The Guru Is In

Posted by Antonio Gallardo <an...@apache.org>.
Rodent of Unusual Size dijo:
> Pier Fumagalli wrote:
>>
>> In my opinion the key idea of the ASF is to push the idea of the
>> different communities behind a project. I can't count how many times I
>> heard on our lists that a project can be considered "mature" only when
>> the original author left and someone else in the community picked up
>> the "leading" role in the development.
>>
>> Pushing the idea of a "guru" (IMVHO) is exactly the opposite of
>> pushing the idea of a community. It's a single individual over the
>> bazillion of people behind this or that project, and I wouldn't want
>> it to be seen as a "serious" figure promoted by the foundation...
>
> pier, please remember that the people at apachecon are primarily
> USERS, not developers.  please do not try to apply our internal
> criteria to them.  a 'guru' is exactly what many of them would
> like to encounter.

And why to not tell it direct. Many of the commiter are considered Apache
gurus. That is true.

Best Regards,

Antonio Gallardo.

Re: Apachecon: The Guru Is In

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.
Pier Fumagalli wrote:

> In my opinion the key idea of the ASF is to push the idea of the different
> communities behind a project. I can't count how many times I heard on our
> lists that a project can be considered "mature" only when the original
> author left and someone else in the community picked up the "leading" role
> in the development.
>
> Pushing the idea of a "guru" (IMVHO) is exactly the opposite of pushing the
> idea of a community. It's a single individual over the bazillion of people
> behind this or that project, and I wouldn't want it to be seen as a
> "serious" figure promoted by the foundation...

pier, please remember that the people at apachecon are primarily
USERS, not developers.  please do not try to apply our internal
criteria to them.  a 'guru' is exactly what many of them would
like to encounter.
--
#ken	P-)}

"Millennium hand and shrimp!"

RE: Apachecon: The Guru Is In

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
> In my opinion the key idea of the ASF is to push the idea of the different
> communities behind a project.

> Pushing the idea of a "guru" (IMVHO) is exactly the opposite of pushing
the
> idea of a community.

How does making it plural work for you?  IOW, "The Gurus Are In."  That is
somewhere between the individual, and the completely devoid of any humor:
"Apache Help Desk."

Before anyone should bring it up, I do suggest that we avoid further
American Indian references, such as Medicine Man.

	--- Noel

Re: Apachecon: The Guru Is In

Posted by Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@webweaving.org>.
> IMHO Pier simply got the idea wrong. :-) So if you intend to do this,
> I'd be happy to play "the Turbine guy" (as long as I get some beer. ;-)

Ok - but more people may get this impression of guru-dom. So perhaps we
need to change the name a little. Or hand out sooooo many guru buttons
that it gets funny.

Perhaps we need a nice committer button or something with a 'ask me a
question' and four checkboxes for J/X/H/* under it :-) which gets handed
out to anyone who wants. Perhaps even just anyone - not just committers -
as in reality a lot of list have many more experts than just those who
happen to have their commit bit. I.e. draw on a larger expert community.

Dw

Re: Apachecon: The Guru Is In

Posted by Henning Schmiedehausen <hp...@intermeta.de>.
On Sun, 2003-09-28 at 23:25, Rich Bowen wrote:
> On Sun, 28 Sep 2003, Pier Fumagalli wrote:
>
> > Pushing the idea of a "guru" (IMVHO) is exactly the opposite of pushing the
> > idea of a community. It's a single individual over the bazillion of people
> > behind this or that project, and I wouldn't want it to be seen as a
> > "serious" figure promoted by the foundation...
>
> Hmm. This is monumentally far from what I'm trying to do. A lot of
> people come to the conference with real-world problems that they want
> solutions to, or at least suggestions that they can pursue in their own
> time when they get back home. I'm certainly not trying to promote myself

Actually, the first time you suggested the "guru is in" sessions, I
understood it exactly as described in this sentence. To me, this is
always Luzie sitting in her box with "The doctor is in" sign helping
Charlie Brown out.

IMHO Pier simply got the idea wrong. :-) So if you intend to do this,
I'd be happy to play "the Turbine guy" (as long as I get some beer. ;-)

	Regards
		Henning

--
Dipl.-Inf. (Univ.) Henning P. Schmiedehausen       -- Geschaeftsfuehrer
INTERMETA - Gesellschaft fuer Mehrwertdienste mbH     hps@intermeta.de

Am Schwabachgrund 22  Fon.: 09131 / 50654-0   info@intermeta.de
D-91054 Buckenhof     Fax.: 09131 / 50654-20

Re: Apachecon: The Guru Is In

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On Sun, 28 Sep 2003, Rich Bowen wrote:
> mailing lists. I don't get the sense that he does this in order that the
> world will recognize him and adulate him as a hero. (Joshua, please
> correct me if I'm wrong ;-)

Personally, I'm just in it for the money.

Joshua.

Re: Apachecon: The Guru Is In

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.
On Sun, 28 Sep 2003, Pier Fumagalli wrote:

> Pushing the idea of a "guru" (IMVHO) is exactly the opposite of pushing the
> idea of a community. It's a single individual over the bazillion of people
> behind this or that project, and I wouldn't want it to be seen as a
> "serious" figure promoted by the foundation...

Hmm. This is monumentally far from what I'm trying to do. A lot of
people come to the conference with real-world problems that they want
solutions to, or at least suggestions that they can pursue in their own
time when they get back home. I'm certainly not trying to promote myself
as a guru. I'm trying to do, in person, what I do on IRC for several
hours almost every day - that is, to help people solve their problems.
This is not self-promotion in any way, it's merely saying, hey, maybe I
can help you solve your problems. If you've hung out on #apache at all,
you'll know that I'm the first to admit when I don't know the answer to
a question. But if I do know, I try to help folks out. This is what I
contribute to the community, and it's what got me into working on the
documentation in the first place. Likewise, folks like Joshua Slive
donate ungodly amounts of time to answering questions on the user
mailing lists. I don't get the sense that he does this in order that the
world will recognize him and adulate him as a hero. (Joshua, please
correct me if I'm wrong ;-)

If a different word is preferred, that's fine with me. I'm not entirely
sure how serious you're being in your remarks, but I surely don't want
to convey the wrong image by naming the event. I don't suppose I gave it
much thought, but shamelessly stole it from events conducted at the
O'Reilly conference where folks like Larry Wall and Guido van Rossum
very humbly helped folks sort out their difficulties and solve their
practical problems.

--
And everyone said, "If we only live,
We too will go to sea in a Sieve -

Re: Apachecon: The Guru Is In

Posted by Pier Fumagalli <pi...@betaversion.org>.
On 24/9/03 18:23, "Dirk-Willem van Gulik" <di...@webweaving.org> wrote:

> On Wed, 24 Sep 2003, Sander Temme wrote:
>
>>> i like the idea of having them during sessions.  diversity is good,
>>> and since it's so free-format, and the same gurus can come back
>>> (bwb -- bribed with beer) for encores, i think it's a win.
>>
>> You mean... there will be a keg behind the table? I'm in!
>
> I can see a drinking game here - if the guru gets it wrong (apctl
> configtest is your friend) - he gets to drinks at least a pint - if he
> gets it wright - the hapless questioneer drings half a pint.

The "drinking game" would be the only possible way in which I could
favorably see the "guru" figure officially presented at ApacheCON...

In my opinion the key idea of the ASF is to push the idea of the different
communities behind a project. I can't count how many times I heard on our
lists that a project can be considered "mature" only when the original
author left and someone else in the community picked up the "leading" role
in the development.

Pushing the idea of a "guru" (IMVHO) is exactly the opposite of pushing the
idea of a community. It's a single individual over the bazillion of people
behind this or that project, and I wouldn't want it to be seen as a
"serious" figure promoted by the foundation...

If (instead) the "guru" had to drink for every mistake he makes, please sign
me on for one of those "Guru T-Shirt": I'm ready to give all the wrong
answers required to get me utterly drunk!!! :-)

    Pier (beeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrr)

Re: Apachecon: The Guru Is In

Posted by Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@webweaving.org>.

Re: Apachecon: The Guru Is In

Posted by Sander Temme <sa...@temme.net>.
> i like the idea of having them during sessions.  diversity is good,
> and since it's so free-format, and the same gurus can come back
> (bwb -- bribed with beer) for encores, i think it's a win.

You mean... there will be a keg behind the table? I'm in!

S.

Re: Apachecon: The Guru Is In

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.

Re: Apachecon: The Guru Is In

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.
On Wed, 24 Sep 2003, Dirk-Willem van Gulik wrote:

> > There will be a signup sheet at the conference, but I'd like to get an
> > idea now whether we're going to have enough participants to make this
>
> Please open one in CVS - ideally with days + timeslots which match the
> space between session slots/other -freetime- periods.

OK, I added on in cvs, and then read your note. So it's your preference
that these not be going on during sessions? That leaves very little time
- just the lunch and coffee breaks. My thought hat been to have these be
going on while sessions were going on for the few folks that were not
going to be in a talk at the time. Please let me know if folks think
that this is a problem.

--
Who can say where the road goes
Where the day flows

Re: Apachecon: The Guru Is In

Posted by Brian McCallister <br...@apache.org>.
On Wednesday, September 24, 2003, at 02:59 AM, Dirk-Willem van Gulik
wrote:

> Can we have a GuRu hat, t-shirt of beard; marked with an H, X or J
> depending on our java, http or xml skills :-)

+1, That would be a hilarious gimmick.

Re: Apachecon: The Guru Is In

Posted by Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@webweaving.org>.