Posted to user@zookeeper.apache.org by chaitanya_r <ch...@yahoo.com> on 2014/04/04 23:07:57 UTC

Where to check for Zookeeper logs?

I am completely new to Zookeeper and trying to understand where the zookeeper
maintains its log files.

On my windows machine I observed a log file called
"dataDir\version-2\log.1", I tried opening it using Notepad++ and my notepad
hanged permanently as the file size is very large. Also I see that this file
is encrypted and not in human readable format, so how to open and read this
file?

Also I just started zookeeper server and connected to it using a client then
create a znode, and this resulted in this "dataDir\version-2\log.1" file
which is of 64MB, is this normal? Because I just ran very basic commands but
still it created a file of 64MB.

Re: Where to check for Zookeeper logs?

Posted by Michi Mutsuzaki <mi...@cs.stanford.edu>.
Hi,

ZooKeeper uses log4j. You provide a log4j configuration file to
customize where/what to log.

http://zookeeper.apache.org/doc/r3.3.3/zookeeperAdmin.html#sc_logging

The files under the data directory are transaction log files. They
don't have any log messages in it. ZooKeeper pre-allocates disk space
for transaction log files for efficiency.

--Michi