Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com> on 2006/09/21 17:26:25 UTC

[legal] change of copyright notice policy

The ASF has changed it's copyright notice policy for source files.
The policy is noted here :

   http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html

Any release after Nov 1, 2006 must conform to this policy.  Since we
aren't near a release yet, we have plenty of time, but we should do
this sooner than later.

First and foremost, any new contributions should follow the policy.

Second, we should decide how we want to proceed.  It's clear to me
that we're not going to naturally touch all the files over time in
any reasonable amount of time, so we can't just do it over time as we
work on the code.

The best solution is a script that can be run on an arbitrary source
tree, so that developers can do this on a package by package basis
(or the whole thing at once, although it seems package by package
over time by all the committers seems to be a good way to farm out
the work.  :)

I think that patches are a bad idea for this since the script is
neater and re-usable for other projects as well.

Thoughts?

geir

Re: [legal] change of copyright notice policy

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.
On Sep 22, 2006, at 1:19 AM, Stepan Mishura wrote:

> On 9/21/06, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
>>
>> The ASF has changed it's copyright notice policy for source files.
>> The policy is noted here :
>>
>>   http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html
>>
>> Any release after Nov 1, 2006 must conform to this policy.  Since we
>> aren't near a release yet, we have plenty of time, but we should do
>> this sooner than later.
>>
>> First and foremost, any new contributions should follow the policy.
>

> IOW, from today all new files coming to SVN should contain a new
> license
> header. Right?

Might as well. I don't see any downside.

geir

Posted by Stepan Mishura <st...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.
On Sep 21, 2006, at 3:05 PM, Tim Ellison wrote:

> Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
>> Please, don't do a patch.
>>
>> To make this clear, I'm -1 any massive patch for this.
>>
>> I am very +1 any small perl script that solves the problem, that
>> can be
>> applied by anyone.
>
> Is the perl script referenced in the policy doc no good?

That would work :)

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.
Bash works for me.  I tend do all my work in either OS X or ubuntu.
windows is for running Outlook :)

geir

Posted by Alexey Petrenko <al...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.
Please, don't do a patch.

Posted by Alexey Petrenko <al...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.
+1

Posted by Mark Hindess <ma...@googlemail.com>.
On 28 September 2006 at 13:57, Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com> wrote:
> I suggest we work from a shared document like this
>
>   http://wiki.apache.org/harmony/SourceHeaders
>
> to get all the source files covered.  What do you think?

Seems reasonable.  I've put my name against a couple of directories.

-Mark.

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.
On Sep 22, 2006, at 4:13 AM, Oliver Deakin wrote:

> Tim Ellison wrote:
>> I suggest that committers volunteer to run the script (and verify the
>> results etc.) on a module-by-module, rather than package-by-package,
>> basis; plus the VMs of course.
>>
>> Let's list the units of work on the wiki and have people sign-up to
>> convert them.
>>
>> I assume that we will convert *all* copyright blocks in SVN (tools,
>> website, etc.), not just those that would make it into a release,
>> right?
>>

> AFAICS from the policy page, we do not need to apply any
> changes to the website (it's in the FAQ further down the same page).

True, but we should eventually get there.  Our web pages do have a
(c) at the bottom anyway, so making them align isn't harmful.

geir

Posted by Oliver Deakin <ol...@googlemail.com>.
Tim Ellison wrote:
> I suggest that committers volunteer to run the script (and verify the
> results etc.) on a module-by-module, rather than package-by-package,
> basis; plus the VMs of course.
>
> Let's list the units of work on the wiki and have people sign-up to
> convert them.
>
> I assume that we will convert *all* copyright blocks in SVN (tools,
> website, etc.), not just those that would make it into a release, right?

AFAICS from the policy page, we do not need to apply any
changes to the website (it's in the FAQ further down the same page).

Regards,
Oliver

> What a drag.
> Tim
>

> Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
>
>> The ASF has changed it's copyright notice policy for source files.  The
>> policy is noted here :
>>
>>   http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html
>>
>> Any release after Nov 1, 2006 must conform to this policy.  Since we
>> aren't near a release yet, we have plenty of time, but we should do this
>> sooner than later.
>>
>> First and foremost, any new contributions should follow the policy.
>>
>> Second, we should decide how we want to proceed.  It's clear to me that
>> we're not going to naturally touch all the files over time in any
>> reasonable amount of time, so we can't just do it over time as we work
>> on the code.
>>
>> The best solution is a script that can be run on an arbitrary source
>> tree, so that developers can do this on a package by package basis (or
>> the whole thing at once, although it seems package by package over time
>> by all the committers seems to be a good way to farm out the work.  :)
>>
>> I think that patches are a bad idea for this since the script is neater
>> and re-usable for other projects as well.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>>
>> geir

Oliver Deakin
IBM United Kingdom Limited

Re: [legal] change of copyright notice policy

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.
On Sep 21, 2006, at 3:04 PM, Tim Ellison wrote:

> I suggest that committers volunteer to run the script (and verify the
> results etc.) on a module-by-module, rather than package-by-package,
> basis; plus the VMs of course.

Yes, exactly.  I didn't really mean on a package basis.  If we get a
script soon, I'll just do the VM this week.

> Let's list the units of work on the wiki and have people sign-up to
> convert them.
>
> I assume that we will convert *all* copyright blocks in SVN (tools,
> website, etc.), not just those that would make it into a release,
> right?

Yes.

> What a drag.

It really should be no big deal if we just do it lazily for now...

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.