Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by "geoffrey.schulz @dslextreme.com" <ge...@dslextreme.com> on 2014/08/17 22:09:10 UTC

OpenOffice is unreliable

For the last time, OpenOffice crashed and deleted all my hard work.  I say
the last time, because I am uninstalling it and will never use it again!
It wasn't that I was lax in saving my work as I go (you have to save every
few seconds with OpenOrifice to keep from loosing your work), but when it
crashed this time, the recovery program erased the previously saved work
and replaced it with a blank document.  I'm tired of not knowing what
ridiculous function is going to crash the program next and whether or not
my project will still be there.

Good bye OpenOffice!

Re: OpenOffice is unreliable

Posted by Alexandro Colorado <jz...@oooes.org>.
Which operating system are you under, windows is a highly unstable
operating system as a 15 years linux user. OOo/AOO has only crash on
me around 5 times.

On 8/20/14, jonathon <to...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 8/18/2014 2:59 PM, James Lambert wrote:
>> Where did you get your copy of Open Office. If it was not fro Apachie
>> Openoffice.com, It is no wonder you had trouble.
>
> The original poster didn't provide any specifics about the alleged
> crashes.  I no longer submit bug reports, because they are invariably
> closed as "won't fix".
>
> Having said all that, there are conditions under which Apache OpenOffice
> will crash, but neither LibreOffice, nor EuroOffice will crash.
> There are conditions under which LibreOffice will crash, but neither
> EuroOffice nor Apache Open Office will crash.
> There are conditions under which EuroOffice will crash, but neither
> LibreOffice, nor Apache Open Office will crash.
>
> As a general rule, I switch office suites, when I am about to enter the
> conditions that cause the office suite I am using to crash. For some
> circumstances, switching office suites won't help, because the
> functionality I need is present in only one of those office suites.
>
> jonathon

Alexandro Colorado
Apache OpenOffice Contributor

Re: OpenOffice is unreliable

Posted by jonathon <to...@gmail.com>.

Posted by James Lambert <jl...@inebraska.com>.
Where did you get your copy of Open Office. If it was not fro Apachie
Openoffice.com, It is no wonder you had trouble.
James Lambert

Posted by Fernando Cassia <fc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by James Lambert <jl...@inebraska.com>.
I find OpenOffice completely reliable
James Lambert

> OpenOffice has a backup location where you can recover your latest
> versions of your work. You access it from Options -> General -> Paths
>
> You can see where backup resides and get yuour documents.
>
> Also when you suffer from unexpected crashes, you are always presented
> with a crash report to fill out. At this stage this is not nearly a
> crash report which is completely useless to learn from it.
>

> On 8/17/14, geoffrey.schulz @dslextreme.com
> <ge...@dslextreme.com> wrote:
> > For the last time, OpenOffice crashed and deleted all my hard work.  I
> say
> > the last time, because I am uninstalling it and will never use it again!
> > It wasn't that I was lax in saving my work as I go (you have to save
> every
> > few seconds with OpenOrifice to keep from loosing your work), but when
> > it
> > crashed this time, the recovery program erased the previously saved work
> > and replaced it with a blank document.  I'm tired of not knowing what
> > ridiculous function is going to crash the program next and whether or
> > not
> > my project will still be there.
> >
> > Good bye OpenOffice!

So very sorry to hear about your problems and now your abandoning of
OpenOffice.

It would be be very helpful to us if you tell us a bit more about your
environment : OS version, RAM size, etc . -- so we can determine how to
correct whatever is causing this to happen.  And, what versions have you
used of OpenOffice? Which version are you using now?

Posted by Doug <dm...@optonline.net>.
On 08/17/2014 08:00 PM, Kay Schenk wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 17, 2014 at 2:49 PM, Alexandro Colorado <jz...@oooes.org> wrote:

/snip/

> On 8/17/14, geoffrey.schulz @dslextreme.com
> <ge...@dslextreme.com> wrote:
>>> For the last time, OpenOffice crashed and deleted all my hard work.  I
>> say
>>> the last time, because I am uninstalling it and will never use it again!
>>> It wasn't that I was lax in saving my work as I go (you have to save
>> every
>>> few seconds with OpenOrifice to keep from loosing your work), but when it
>>> crashed this time, the recovery program erased the previously saved work
>>> and replaced it with a blank document.  I'm tired of not knowing what
>>> ridiculous function is going to crash the program next and whether or not
>>> my project will still be there.
>>>
>>> Good bye OpenOffice!

/snip/

You might want to look for SoftMaker Free Office, if it's still
available. I used
it for a little while, then I bought the full version. It's about $80.
Word Processor,
Spread Sheet, and Presentations.  I think that's not a bad price for an
office suite.
I like the way it works. It's not so stubborn about styles like OO or
LO. And it reads
and writes MS formats, including docx.  The folks there will answer
questions, if
you have a problem you can't figure out how to solve.  I think you can
use styles
if you want to. I don't.
(I have no personal interest in the company, which is in Germany.)

--doug

Re: OpenOffice is unreliable

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, Aug 17, 2014 at 2:49 PM, Alexandro Colorado <jz...@oooes.org> wrote:

> OpenOffice has a backup location where you can recover your latest
> versions of your work. You access it from Options -> General -> Paths
>
> You can see where backup resides and get yuour documents.
>
> Also when you suffer from unexpected crashes, you are always presented
> with a crash report to fill out. At this stage this is not nearly a
> crash report which is completely useless to learn from it.
>

> On 8/17/14, geoffrey.schulz @dslextreme.com
> <ge...@dslextreme.com> wrote:
> > For the last time, OpenOffice crashed and deleted all my hard work.  I
> say
> > the last time, because I am uninstalling it and will never use it again!
> > It wasn't that I was lax in saving my work as I go (you have to save
> every
> > few seconds with OpenOrifice to keep from loosing your work), but when it
> > crashed this time, the recovery program erased the previously saved work
> > and replaced it with a blank document.  I'm tired of not knowing what
> > ridiculous function is going to crash the program next and whether or not
> > my project will still be there.
> >
> > Good bye OpenOffice!

So very sorry to hear about your problems and now your abandoning of
OpenOffice.

It would be be very helpful to us if you tell us a bit more about your
environment : OS version, RAM size, etc . -- so we can determine how to
correct whatever is causing this to happen.  And, what versions have you
used of OpenOffice? Which version are you using now?

> --
> Alexandro Colorado
> Apache OpenOffice Contributor
> 882C 4389 3C27 E8DF 41B9  5C4C 1DB7 9D1C 7F4C 2614

MzK

"For evil to flourish, it only requires good men to do nothing."
                                                  -- Simon Wiesenthal

Re: OpenOffice is unreliable

Posted by Alexandro Colorado <jz...@oooes.org>.

Posted by TN Patriot <ir...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, 18 Aug 2014 18:55:39 -0700
Bob Holtzman <ho...@cox.net> wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 17, 2014 at 01:09:10PM -0700, geoffrey.schulz @dslextreme.com
> wrote:
> > For the last time, OpenOffice crashed and deleted all my hard work.  I say
> > the last time, because I am uninstalling it and will never use it again!
> > It wasn't that I was lax in saving my work as I go (you have to save every
> > few seconds with OpenOrifice to keep from loosing your work), but when it
> > crashed this time, the recovery program erased the previously saved work
> > and replaced it with a blank document.  I'm tired of not knowing what
> > ridiculous function is going to crash the program next and whether or not
> > my project will still be there.
> >
> > Good bye OpenOffice!
>
> Did it ever occur to you that thousands (tens of thousands?) of people
> happily use the program with few if any problems.
>
> Could it be that the problem isn't with the program?

Exactly. 50% of the time it's PEBKAC.

--
http://www.lawcollective.org/  Learn your rights easily through cartoons!

http://www.roadblock.org/rights/  Know your rights about and at roadblocks!

http://fija.org/  Learn about Jury Nullification! Take back your rights from the
over-reaching: police, justice system and government!

Re: OpenOffice is unreliable

Posted by Bob Holtzman <ho...@cox.net>.
On Sun, Aug 17, 2014 at 01:09:10PM -0700, geoffrey.schulz @dslextreme.com wrote:
> For the last time, OpenOffice crashed and deleted all my hard work.  I say
> the last time, because I am uninstalling it and will never use it again!
> It wasn't that I was lax in saving my work as I go (you have to save every
> few seconds with OpenOrifice to keep from loosing your work), but when it
> crashed this time, the recovery program erased the previously saved work
> and replaced it with a blank document.  I'm tired of not knowing what
> ridiculous function is going to crash the program next and whether or not
> my project will still be there.
>
> Good bye OpenOffice!

Did it ever occur to you that thousands (tens of thousands?) of people
happily use the program with few if any problems.

Could it be that the problem isn't with the program?

--
Bob Holtzman
Giant intergalactic brain-sucking hyperbacteria
came to Earth to rape our women and create a race
of mindless zombies.  Look!  It's working!