Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by ar...@za.safmarine.com on 2003/10/07 14:44:12 UTC

/ /OREF:CPT482FF Velocity context: portlet variable is null?

Hi,

I have a Velocity portlet with a  doUpdate(...) action event that is
called when user clicks a form button.
Problem now is that when I try to get the portlet object from
Velocity context, null value is returned.

My doUpdate(...) method looks like this:

 public void doUpdate(RunData data, Context context) throws Exception
{
      try {
             // get portlet reference from Velocity context
              VelocityPortlet portlet = (VelocityPortlet) context.get
("portlet");
             // announce null portlet
             if (portlet == null) {
                  throw new NullPointerException(
                        "Velocity context contains a null reference
to this portlet!");
             }
            // use portlet object here to set Attributes!!!!
      } catch(Exception exc) {
                  Log.error("MyWorldClockPortlet#doUpdate:  [error] "
, exc);
                  throw exc;
      }
 }

I'm very new to Jetspeed so I'm not to sure why exectly the problem
may be occuring.
>From what I know, Jetspeed would set the "portlet" varibale in
Velocity context implictly.

Alen Ribic