Posted to c-dev@xerces.apache.org by Steve Heller <st...@steveheller.com> on 2000/07/18 17:44:17 UTC

Differences between Visual C++ 5 and 6

  I know this may seem off topic, but it really isn't, as the reason
I'm switching to Visual C++ 6 is because that is the compiler used for
the Windows version of Xerces.
  I'm having a great deal of difficulty getting a project (not the
Xerces project) that used to work under Visual C++ 5 to produce a
correct program under Visual C++ 6. The program produced by compiling
under Visual C++ 6 throws an exception before main begins, inside
NTDLL.
  I have a couple of questions: first, has anyone else encountered
this problem? Second, is there some list somewhere of what compiler
switches I need to change when moving a project from Visual C++ 5 2
Visual C++ 6?
  Thanks to everyone in advance.

--
Steve Heller, WA0CPP
PGP public key available from http://pgpkeys.mit.edu:11371

RE: Differences between Visual C++ 5 and 6

Posted by Linda Derezinski <li...@interfacecontrol.com>.
The only pain we went through when switching xerces from the 5 to 6 compiler
was making sure that all of the projects were using the multithreaded dll
instead of the static one.

Project settings->c/c++->Use run-time library->Multithreaded DLL or Debug
Multithreaded DLL.

Keep in mind the following things:
  We were using the bleeding edge version of xerces directly from CVS.
  We switched over in the Dec-Jan 2000 time frame.
  It is quite possible that we just didn't find this problem until after
upgrading to VC6.0.

Linda Derezinski
Interface & Control Systems

Posted by Dean Roddey <dr...@charmedquark.com>.