Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by muzza <st...@amt-sybex.com> on 2011/05/17 12:45:38 UTC

JMS Spec - Application Server Facilities (ASF)

Morning all,

Just a quick question for AMQ versions 5.x and 4.1.x.

Does AMQ implement the optional Application Server Facilities in the JMS
Spec ?

Only after years of working around some issues with AMQ deployed in
Websphere we've found that if we turn off ASF in Websphere Listener Service
then AMQ behaves itself!

For instance in applying the following in Websphere, an MDB can now process
messages from a request queue that has depth on it upon start up:

NON.ASF.RECEIVE.TIMEOUT = 60,000 (milliseconds)

IBM Quote that Non-ASF mode is mainly for use with third-party messaging
providers that do not support JMS ASF, which is an optional extension to the
JMS specification. Non-ASF mode is also transactional but, because the path
length is shorter than for ASF mode, usually provides improved performance.

Hence the query to see if this is case with AMQ ?

Cheers,
Muzza.

Re: JMS Spec - Application Server Facilities (ASF)

Posted by muzza <st...@amt-sybex.com>.
Thanks Gary.

Can you comment on ActiveMQ 4.1.2 also please as we suspect this was not the
case with this old version and still have some customers in production with
4.1.2 ?

Posted by Gary Tully <ga...@gmail.com>.
All of the ASF optional pieces are present in 5.x, can't help on the
specifics of websphere though.

http://blog.garytully.com
http://fusesource.com