Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by ja...@hna.honda.com on 2014/02/04 20:25:39 UTC

unable to start Tomcat through the Windows Services panel

Sorry for my previous attempt.

I installed Tomcat v7.0.42 as a Windows server (I am running Windows 7).
When I attempt to start it, I get the following message

"Windows could not start the Tomcat7 on Local Computer. For more
information, review the System Event Log. If this is a non-Microsoft
service, contact the service vendor, and refer to service-specific error
code 4."

If I run the STARTUP.BAT batch file, it starts OK.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Javier España
Sr. Technical Analyst
Honda North American Services, LLC.
Information Services Division
ISD Applications
1919 Torrance Blvd.,
Torrance, CA 90501
(310) 781-4514
Email: javier_espana@hna.honda.com
www.honda.com

***Beginning April 1, 2013 my email changed to javier_espana@hna.honda.com.
Please update your contact information.
Thank you.***

Re: unable to start Tomcat through the Windows Services panel

Posted by David kerber <dc...@verizon.net>.
On 2/5/2014 1:24 PM, javier_espana@hna.honda.com wrote:
> I tried changing the logon setup to use my ID and password but it did not
> make a difference.
>
> How do I get to the "System Event Log" in Windows 7?

It's in Administrative Tools | Computer Management, in the System Tools
branch.  There are a bunch of different logs there.

Posted by ja...@hna.honda.com.

From:	André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>
To:	Tomcat Users List <us...@tomcat.apache.org>,
Date:	02/05/2014 01:29 AM
Subject:	Re: unable to start Tomcat through the Windows Services panel

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
javier_espana@hna.honda.com wrote:
> Sorry for my previous attempt.
>
> I installed Tomcat v7.0.42 as a Windows server (I am running Windows 7).
> When I attempt to start it, I get the following message
>
> "Windows could not start the Tomcat7 on Local Computer. For more
> information, review the System Event Log.

and did you review it, and what does it say ?

If this is a non-Microsoft
> service, contact the service vendor, and refer to service-specific error
> code 4."
>
> If I run the STARTUP.BAT batch file, it starts OK.

See Mark's previous answer.

In a nutshell :

When you run Tomcat via STARTUP.BAT in a command window, Tomcat starts up :
- under your own logged-in user-id
- using the parameters present in the various BAT files present in Tomcat/bin

When you run Tomcat as a Service, it starts up :
- under whatever user-id the Service is configured to run under
- using parameters in the Registry (it does not use the BAT files at all)
(The Registry parameters can be edited via the GUI editor tomcat7w.exe, also in Tomcat/bin)

Re: unable to start Tomcat through the Windows Services panel

Posted by ja...@hna.honda.com.
The entry in the Event Viewer just before the Error entry says "The tomcat7
service entered the stopped state."

From:	"Howard W. Smith, Jr." <sm...@gmail.com>
To:	Tomcat Users List <us...@tomcat.apache.org>,
Date:	02/06/2014 08:09 AM
Subject:	Re: unable to start Tomcat through the Windows Services panel

On Wed, Feb 5, 2014 at 2:09 PM, <ja...@hna.honda.com> wrote:

> OK, this is what I see in the Event Viewer under General tab
> "The tomcat7 service terminated with service-specific error Incorrect
> function.."
>
> Under Details tab, I see the following in XML view
> - <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
>       - <System>
>         <Provider Name="Service Control Manager" Guid="
>         {555908d1-a6d7-4695-8e1e-26931d2012f4}" EventSourceName="Service
>         Control Manager" />
>         <EventID Qualifiers="49152">7024</EventID>
>         <Version>0</Version>
>         <Level>2</Level>
>         <Task>0</Task>
>         <Opcode>0</Opcode>
>         <Keywords>0x8080000000000000</Keywords>
>         <TimeCreated SystemTime="2014-02-05T19:04:06.253413900Z" />
>         <EventRecordID>67562</EventRecordID>
>         <Correlation />
>         <Execution ProcessID="872" ThreadID="6044" />
>         <Channel>System</Channel>
>         <Computer>TORAHMLF3DTKX1.am.mds.honda.com</Computer>
>         <Security />
>     </System>
>       - <EventData>
>         <Data Name="param1">tomcat7</Data>
>         <Data Name="param2">%%1</Data>
>     </EventData>
>   </Event>
>
>   Can anyone tell me what that is trying to tell me?
>
>   Thank you

did you see anything else in the Event Viewer that occurred around the same
time that this event occurred (in Event Viewer)?

also, i wonder if he following can help solve this issue?

      - <EventData>
        <Data Name="param1">tomcat7</Data>
        <Data Name="param2">%%1</Data>
    </EventData>

RE: unable to start Tomcat through the Windows Services panel

Posted by ja...@hna.honda.com.
Oh good.  I am glad that I was not alone.

Javier España
Sr. Technical Analyst
Honda North American Services, LLC.
Information Services Division
ISD Applications
1919 Torrance Blvd.,
Torrance, CA 90501
(310) 781-4514
Email: javier_espana@hna.honda.com
www.honda.com

***Beginning April 1, 2013 my email changed to javier_espana@hna.honda.com.
Please update your contact information.
Thank you.***

From:	"Hyde, Howard" <ho...@bankofamerica.com>
To:	Tomcat Users List <us...@tomcat.apache.org>,
Date:	02/06/2014 02:27 PM
Subject:	RE: unable to start Tomcat through the Windows Services panel

Javier,
Thank you for being my guinea pig today.  I've been having all the same
problems as you, on the same day, with the same resolution. Following this
thread finally seems to have provided the breakthrough.
-Howard

Posted by "Hyde, Howard" <ho...@bankofamerica.com>.
Javier,

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by Mark Eggers <it...@yahoo.com>.
Replies inline.

On 2/6/2014 11:51 AM, javier_espana@hna.honda.com wrote:
> I remember installing an older version of Tomcat some years ago and it had
> a Setup.exe or Install.exe program in its library which invoked the Windows
> installer and installed it as a service.  Some of the documentation for
> version 7 mentions the Windows installer but does not provide a link or
> gives an actual name.  In some other part of the documentation it says to
> download the binary version and expand it in its own directory, which I
> did, but I can not find a Windows program that will install it and set it
> up as a service.
> I am running Windows 7  64 bit and I did download the Tomcat 64 bit binary
> version
>
> I also tried at the command prompt the following to install it as a
> service, which I did, but it still will not start through the Windows
> Services panel.
> tomcat7 //IS//Tomcat7 --DisplayName="Apache Tomcat 7"
> --Install="C:\Tomcat7042\bin\tomcat7.exe" --Jvm=auto --StartMode=jvm
> --StopMode=jvm --StartClass=org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap
> --StartParams=start --StopClass=org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap
> --StopParams=stop
>
> Thank you

The installer is on the download page:

http://tomcat.apache.org/download-70.cgi

It's under Binary Distributions, and it's the last link before Full
Documentation:

The link title is:

32-bit/64-bit Windows Service Installer (pgp, md5)

This should auto-detect which JVM you have installed on your machine.

As additional points of interest, could you open up a command line
window and type:

java -version
echo %JRE_HOME%
echo %JAVA_HOME%

and paste the output into a response on the list?

. . . . just my two cents.
/mde/

From:	André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>
To:	Tomcat Users List <us...@tomcat.apache.org>,
Date:	02/06/2014 11:14 AM
Subject:	Re: unable to start Tomcat through the Windows Services panel

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
javier_espana@hna.honda.com wrote:
> Andre:
> I used the batch file "SERVICE.BAT INSTALL"  without any additional
> parameters.  Was I missing some parameter?

Possibly.  Depending on your particulat case, you may have needed to specifiy some option,
and because you did not, it may have placed a wrong parameter somewhere, or used the wrong
version of some module.
I don't really now, this is just speculation.  But obviously there is something wrong with
the way your Service is defined.

Or is there a better way of
> installing Tomcat?

If all you want is to run Tomcat as a Service, then yes there is an easier way : download
the "installer" version from the Tomcat website, and run it.

I am a bit unfamiliar with the SERVICE.BAT file, but I would guess that it can also be run
to uninstall the Service that you have already installed now.  If it does offer that, then
run the "SERVICE.BAT uninstall" first, and then run the "installer" that you downloaded.
You can install it in the same directory as before, and it will just overwrite some files.

As others have testified before, the installer version works fine and does the right thing
automatically.

Note that the "installer" version does not install all the files which are contained in
the zip version, only the subset of them needed to run the Service version.  It does not
for example install the BAT files, since they are not needed to run the Service.

RE: unable to start Tomcat through the Windows Services panel

Posted by ja...@hna.honda.com.
Andre:
I used the batch file "SERVICE.BAT INSTALL"  without any additional
parameters.  Was I missing some parameter? Or is there a better way of
installing Tomcat?

From:	Jeffrey Janner <Je...@PolyDyne.com>
To:	"'Tomcat Users List'" <us...@tomcat.apache.org>, "'Tomcat Users
            List'" <us...@tomcat.apache.org>,
Date:	02/06/2014 08:43 AM
Subject:	RE: unable to start Tomcat through the Windows Services panel

André -
Good points. I'd been following this thread out of curiosity and was just
beginning to think that it was obviously a service configuration error.  I
don't have the entire thread handy, and haven't looked at MarkMail, but I
don't remember anyone asking the OP exactly *how* he installed the service.
One would assume he used the bat file that is designed to do this, since he
mentions running tomcat from the console using startup.bat (a clear
giveaway that he's not using the fine Windows installer package that
someone spent a lot of time crafting).
Personally, I only use the installer, and never run into startup problems
unless I've set some optional parameter to an invalid value, e.g. setting a
heap size > than 1.5GB on a 32-bit machine, etc.
As you said, if you're not seeing any log files generated, then the java
isn't even getting started, so it could be several factors, not the least
of which is an invalid path to the JVM or the Tomcat jar files, etc.
Jeff

Re: unable to start Tomcat through the Windows Services panel

Posted by "Howard W. Smith, Jr." <sm...@gmail.com>.

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
André Warnier wrote:
> Hi.
>
> javier_espana@hna.honda.com wrote:
>> OK, this is what I see in the Event Viewer under General tab
>> "The tomcat7 service terminated with service-specific error Incorrect
>> function.."
>>

> Let's start from the beginning.
>
> If you don't get logfiles in the Tomcat/logs directory, then chances are
> that Windows does not even begin to run Tomcat, and that there is an
> error right at the start, when it tries to run it.
>
> So first read this : http://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/FAQ/Windows#Q11
>
> That will explain /what/ you are actually running, when you (try to) run
> Tomcat as a Service in Windows, and why it is different from running
> Tomcat in a command window.
> Go ahead, read it, we'll wait right here.
>
> ... some time later :
>
> Now you know
> - that tomcat7.exe is a Windows executable program
> - it is the program which the Windows Service Manager tries to start,
> when you start the Tomcat7 Service
> - but tomcat7.exe is not really Tomcat; it is a "wrapper" program that
> runs the Java JVM which in turn runs Tomcat.
>
> And to start the Java JVM, and pass to this java JVM the appropriate
> parameters, tomcat7.exe reads these parameters from the Windows Registry
> somewhere.
>
> And to be nice, the Tomcat developers have even provided a specialised
> GUI editor, that allows you to view, set or modify these Tomcat Registry
> parameters that are used by tomcat7.exe.
> And that is the program tomcat7w.exe.  So go ahead now, double-click on
> tomcat7w.exe, and look at the information it shows in the various tabs.
> That is probably where something is wrong.
>
> Or else what is wrong, is that the version of tomcat7.exe that you have
> installed, does not match the version of Windows that you are running.
> For example, tomcat7.exe is a 32-bit program, but your Windows PC runs a
> 64-bit version of Windows.  Or vice-versa.
>
> Or that in the Service definition of the Tomcat7 Service, the path to
> tomcat7.exe is incorrect.
> You see that path in the first tab of the GUI.

Correction :
(it's correct in the FAQ, but wrong above)

The tomcat7.exe 32- or 64-bit version must match the 32- or 64-bit version *of the JVM*
that you are running, not the version of Windows.

Of course, on a 32-bit Windows you can only run a 32-bit JVM, but I suppose that's not
your case.
You /could/ be running a 64-bit JVM, and be trying to start it with a 32-bit tomcat7.exe,
and that would not work.

Re: unable to start Tomcat through the Windows Services panel

Posted by "Howard W. Smith, Jr." <sm...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Feb 6, 2014 at 11:42 AM, Jeffrey Janner <Jeffrey.Janner@polydyne.com

Agreed, and I was following this thread for the same reason.

> I don't have the entire thread handy, and haven't looked at MarkMail, but
> I don't remember anyone asking the OP exactly *how* he installed the
> service.

I had the same thought.

> One would assume he used the bat file that is designed to do this, since
> he mentions running tomcat from the console using startup.bat (a clear
> giveaway that he's not using the fine Windows installer package that
> someone spent a lot of time crafting).

Honestly, I forgot all the specific details of how/when I installed
tomcat/tomee as a Windows service, but I found it quite intuitive...using
the .bat file approach via Windows Command Prompt. The .bat file informed
me of the proper 'usage', and I easily installed tomcat/tomee as a Windows
Service, via command line (or .bat file), accordingly.

And I do use the tomcat7w.exe to modify java options, etc... I never have
to open Windows 'Services' to start/stop tomcat/tomee.

RE: unable to start Tomcat through the Windows Services panel

Posted by Jeffrey Janner <Je...@PolyDyne.com>.

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
Hi.

From:	chris derham <ch...@derham.me.uk>
To:	Tomcat Users List <us...@tomcat.apache.org>,
Date:	02/05/2014 10:37 AM
Subject:	Re: unable to start Tomcat through the Windows Services panel
Sent by:	cjderham@gmail.com

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=How+do+I+get+to+the+Windows+Event+Viewer+in+Windows+7

> Thanks

Your welcome. Anytime you want something from google, please ask here first

Chris

Re: unable to start Tomcat through the Windows Services panel

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: unable to start Tomcat through the Windows Services panel

Posted by chris derham <ch...@derham.me.uk>.

From:	David kerber <dc...@verizon.net>
To:	Tomcat Users List <us...@tomcat.apache.org>,
Date:	02/05/2014 10:07 AM
Subject:	Re: unable to start Tomcat through the Windows Services panel

On 2/5/2014 1:01 PM, javier_espana@hna.honda.com wrote:
> Nothing gets logged within Tomcat when I attempt to start it through the
> Windows Services panel

As Andre asked, what about Windows Event viewer?

Posted by David kerber <dc...@verizon.net>.

From:	Cédric Couralet <ce...@gmail.com>
To:	Tomcat Users List <us...@tomcat.apache.org>,
Date:	02/04/2014 09:31 PM
Subject:	Re: unable to start Tomcat through the Windows Services panel

Posted by Cédric Couralet <ce...@gmail.com>.

From:	Mark Eggers <it...@yahoo.com>
To:	Tomcat Users List <us...@tomcat.apache.org>,
Date:	02/04/2014 01:14 PM
Subject:	Re: unable to start Tomcat through the Windows Services panel

On 2/4/2014 11:25 AM, javier_espana@hna.honda.com wrote:
> Sorry for my previous attempt.
>
> I installed Tomcat v7.0.42 as a Windows server (I am running Windows 7).
> When I attempt to start it, I get the following message
>
> "Windows could not start the Tomcat7 on Local Computer. For more
> information, review the System Event Log. If this is a non-Microsoft
> service, contact the service vendor, and refer to service-specific error
> code 4."
>
> If I run the STARTUP.BAT batch file, it starts OK.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thank you

I suspect that you're logged into a domain and the service is trying to
use the domain service account for which you don't have access.

I'm not a Windows person, so the above may be a bit muddled.

At any rate, go into the services properties and try running the service
with your user account and password.

The change is made on the Log On tab by clicking the "This account"
radio button and filling in the appropriate text fields.

. . . . just my two cents.
/mde/

Re: unable to start Tomcat through the Windows Services panel

Posted by Mark Eggers <it...@yahoo.com>.