Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by "Bagnoud Thierry [ezwww.ch]" <ho...@ezwww.ch> on 2011/03/22 22:32:34 UTC

BUG : all messages rule RP_8BIT

hi,

until 21 mars 2011 after the normal cron.daily/update_spamassassin,
Spamassassin report all messages with the rule RP_8BIT

header RP_8BIT Return-Path:raw =~ /[^\000-\177]/
describe RP_8BIT Return-Path contains 8-bit characters with high bit on
score RP_8BIT 2.8

Thanks to correct this rule.

Thierry Bagnoud

Re: BUG : all messages rule RP_8BIT

Posted by jdow <jd...@earthlink.net>.
On 2011/03/22 14:48, Lawrence @ Rogers wrote:
> On 22/03/2011 7:02 PM, Bagnoud Thierry [ezwww.ch] wrote:
>>
>> until 21 mars 2011 after the normal cron.daily/update_spamassassin,
>> Spamassassin report all messages with the rule RP_8BIT
>>
>> header RP_8BIT Return-Path:raw =~ /[^\000-\177]/
>> describe RP_8BIT Return-Path contains 8-bit characters with high bit on
>> score RP_8BIT 2.8
>>
>> Thanks to correct this rule.
>>
>> Thierry Bagnoud
> I looked through our mail logs and don't see any such hits on our e-mail. If
> all of your e-mail is hitting this rule, I would think something before
> SpamAssassin is messing up the Return-Path (perhaps another scanner or MTA)

He is in Switzerland and is probably using character sets that do have
the 8 bit rule violated. He probably needs to set the score for RP_8BIT
to zero in a local rule file 99_local.cf. (So named so that it processes
last over all other rules. He can put other local optimzations there,
too.)

{^_^}

Re: BUG : all messages rule RP_8BIT

Posted by "Lawrence @ Rogers" <la...@nl.rogers.com>.
On 22/03/2011 7:02 PM, Bagnoud Thierry [ezwww.ch] wrote:

> until 21 mars 2011 after the normal cron.daily/update_spamassassin,
> Spamassassin report all messages with the rule RP_8BIT
>
> header RP_8BIT Return-Path:raw =~ /[^\000-\177]/
> describe RP_8BIT Return-Path contains 8-bit characters with high bit on
> score RP_8BIT 2.8
>
> Thanks to correct this rule.
>
> Thierry Bagnoud
I looked through our mail logs and don't see any such hits on our
e-mail. If all of your e-mail is hitting this rule, I would think
something before SpamAssassin is messing up the Return-Path (perhaps
another scanner or MTA)

- Lawrence

Re: BUG : all messages rule RP_8BIT

Posted by René Berber <r....@computer.org>.
On 3/22/2011 6:43 PM, Steve Freegard wrote:

> I've been hit by this issue; it's nothing to do with the rule misfiring
> - it's more of a conceptual issue of how MailScanner works e.g. by
> taking the queue file and moving it from an inbound to and outbound
> spool and then forcing a delivery.
>
> In the Sendmail queue files, there is always a 'Return-Path:' header
> that is a placeholder for expansion should Sendmail be delivering the
> message to a mailer that specifies that it requires a Return-Path header
> (e.g. local/procmail etc.); however as the header is in the queue file,
> MailScanner still reads it in as a regular header and it therefore gets
> passed to SpamAssassin when the message is checked.  Unfortunately the
> placeholder used by Sendmail contains a high-bit character which then
> causes this rule to fire.

Same here, sendmail + MailScanner and "RP_8BIT 1.39" seems to be a false
positive added to every message I see marked as spam, and many wouldn't
be if that point and fraction weren't added.
--
René Berber

Re: BUG : all messages rule RP_8BIT

Posted by Steve Freegard <st...@fsl.com>.
On 22/03/11 23:28, Lawrence @ Rogers wrote:
> Something is definitely off. We use SA with MailScanner, and that rule
> never hits anything (less than 1 or 2 messages in several thousand).

My guess would be that you aren't using MailScanner with Sendmail
whereas the original poster is.

I've been hit by this issue; it's nothing to do with the rule misfiring
- it's more of a conceptual issue of how MailScanner works e.g. by
taking the queue file and moving it from an inbound to and outbound
spool and then forcing a delivery.

In the Sendmail queue files, there is always a 'Return-Path:' header
that is a placeholder for expansion should Sendmail be delivering the
message to a mailer that specifies that it requires a Return-Path header
(e.g. local/procmail etc.); however as the header is in the queue file,
MailScanner still reads it in as a regular header and it therefore gets
passed to SpamAssassin when the message is checked.  Unfortunately the
placeholder used by Sendmail contains a high-bit character which then
causes this rule to fire.

Regards,
Steve.

Re: BUG : all messages rule RP_8BIT

Posted by "Lawrence @ Rogers" <la...@nl.rogers.com>.

Posted by "Bagnoud Thierry [ezwww.ch]" <ho...@ezwww.ch>.

Posted by Michael Scheidell <mi...@secnap.com>.

--
Michael Scheidell, CTO
o: 561-999-5000
 >*| *SECNAP Network Security Corporation

    * Best Intrusion Prevention Product, Networks Product Guide
    * Certified SNORT Integrator
    * Hot Company Award, World Executive Alliance
    * Best in Email Security, 2010 Network Products Guide
    * King of Spam Filters, SC Magazine