Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Kenneth Porter <sh...@sewingwitch.com> on 2004/07/23 23:48:12 UTC

path not under version control?

I'm trying to diff a vendor branch against a checked-out trunk to verify
that the merge I'm about to do is from the correct base version. When I
issue the diff as "svn diff https://.../vendor/version ." I get "svn: A
path under version control is needed for this operation". The directory I'm
in definitely contains a .svn subdirectory, so the check out seems to have
gone ok. What am I missing?

I'm using a Windows svn client against subversion-1.0.4-2 on Fedora Core 2.

(How can I tell what version the client is? It doesn't recognize the common
-V switch for querying an app's version. I think it's the version that
precedes today's release.)

Re: path not under version control?

Posted by Steve Williams <st...@kromestudios.com>.
> (How can I tell what version the client is? It doesn't recognize the
common
> -V switch for querying an app's version. I think it's the version that
> precedes today's release.)

svn --version

Sly

Re: path not under version control?

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
On Fri, 2004-07-23 at 18:48, Kenneth Porter wrote:
> I'm trying to diff a vendor branch against a checked-out trunk to verify
> that the merge I'm about to do is from the correct base version. When I
> issue the diff as "svn diff https://.../vendor/version ." I get "svn: A
> path under version control is needed for this operation".

Subversion 1.0 doesn't have the ability to compare a working copy
against an arbitrary URL.  Subversion 1.1 does:

  svn diff --old=URL --new=.