Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Chris Fong <ch...@digeo.com> on 2002/02/20 17:38:23 UTC

Static file

RE: Static file

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
> From: Chris Fong [mailto:chris.fong@digeo.com]

> > I would like to know how can I control the caching behavior of
> the static
> > files on apache.  I know there is a mod_expires that I can use to append
> > the expires tag in the response header.  But is it enough?
> What about the
> > cache-control tag or the no-cache pragma?

mod_expires does set a "Cache-Control: max-age" header.  If you want
something else, you can use mod_headers to set whatever you want.

> > Another question is, if I have specified a file to be expired in 10 days
> > and that file is a symbolic link that points to another file which is
> > expired in 0 sec.  What will be the actual caching behavior?

Apache looks at the settings for the original file, not the symlink.  Of
course, you can and should easily confirm this yourself just by trying it
out.

Joshua.