Posted to dev@nifi.apache.org by Richard Miskin <r....@gmail.com> on 2015/12/19 08:55:59 UTC

Deterministic export of templates (nifi-826)

Hi,

I’m working in a team and we’re hoping to be able to configuration manage flow templates, but the fact that the export is non-deterministic makes comparisons very hard.

The jira issue NIFI-826 covers this problem and there was some work done in the area in August but then it went quiet. Do you know what the current status of this change is?

Cheers,
Richard

Re: Deterministic export of templates (nifi-826)

Posted by Joe Witt <jo...@gmail.com>.
Richard,

As I recall there was a pretty significant effort on this but a couple
roadblocks were hit.  With the template/registry and CM feature
proposals we have outstanding the intent is to provide a much richer
user experience around template configuration management and sharing.

That said, it is understandable why folks want to be able to use
common tools like git/diff to do cm of the templates so we need to
figure something out.  There is a related effort whereby we need to
make templates more easily portable so that they can map to their
environment more readily.

There are a couple other feature proposals which are also quite
important with effort underway like state management (active on 050),
HA, multi-tenant auth.

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/NIFI/NiFi+Feature+Proposals

Thanks
Joe

Posted by Matt Gilman <ma...@gmail.com>.
Richard,

Thanks for reaching out. I had started that effort a few months ago.
Unfortunately, the solution I was working toward then was not quite
comprehensive enough and wasn't going to work for all components. This is
something that we still plan to implement. If you have any ideas or would
like to contribute, please do so on that ticket. Thanks!

Matt