Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by "Geer, Christopher S" <ch...@lmco.com> on 2003/07/31 19:20:01 UTC

Avalon Capabilities List

This thread is intended to start a list of capabilities (requirements)
that we would like to see as part of Avalon. We can start with a general
list for now and with time break it into separate lists for the
framework, containers and components. For the time being I am putting
pretty basic stuff in here on purpose.

Avalon shall have the capability to...

- Create and instantiate components
- Destroy a component
- Assembly components.
- Configure components.
- Provide logging for components.
- Start and Stop components.
- Pause and Resume components.
- Allow for component dependencies.
- Have pluggable container components
- Allow components to communicate between them (sync and async).
- Allow components to lookup other components.

And the list goes on...

Here is a quick starter list that everyone can tear apart. From here we
really need to manage the list so it can stay current with what we think
we should do. Also, if we don't want to tackle something now but think
it is a good long term goal, lets leave it on the list and just mark it
as phase 2....n

Chris