Posted to xmlrpc-dev@ws.apache.org by "Pilani, Rahul" <rp...@cobaltgroup.com> on 2006/12/16 04:29:51 UTC

ISO Date Format

Hi All,

I am having problem with parsing ISO date formats with apache's XML-RPC
library.

The server is returning the date in this format:

2006-12-16T01:40:27Z. But on encountering this date, the SAX Parser
throws an error:

org.apache.xmlrpc.client.XmlRpcClientException: Failed to parse servers
response: Failed to parse integer value: 2006-12-16T01:40:27Z

When I try to use a custom date type, with the following format:

"yyyy-MM-dd'T'HH:mm:ss'Z'" (Basically ignoring the T and the Z) then the
parsing works fine.

I checked the date format, and it conforms to the iso8601 standard, with
the Z signifying UTC time, so I don't want to add my own Date format to
the application (that would basically throw out the time zone
information).

Anyone have a workaround this issue?

Regards,

Rahul Pilani

Re: ISO Date Format

Posted by Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@gmail.com>.
On 12/16/06, Pilani, Rahul <rp...@cobaltgroup.com> wrote:

> I am having problem with parsing ISO date formats with apache's XML-RPC
> library.

The reason is most possibly that "dateTime" in XML-RPC isn't
xs:dateTime, in the sense of XML Schema. For reasons I'll never
understand the XML-RPC specification limits dateTime to a certain
subset of the xs:dateTime syntax. In particular, time zones are
forbidden.

You have the following options:

  - Transmit the data as a string and manually convert the calendar
values from/to
    a string.
  - Reduce your format to the subset, which is permitted by the
XML-RPC specification.
  - If both client and server are using Apache XML-RPC, then you might
as well enable
    extensions and use calendar values.

Jochen

----