Posted to dev@poi.apache.org by Greg Woolsey <gr...@gmail.com> on 2017/08/17 17:16:21 UTC

3.17-beta2 vs. 3.17 final?

I could use a new release, don't care what we call it :)

Anyone have pending things they want to get finalized first?  We had
targeted end of summer for 3.17 final, but I don't remember any hard
criteria for what folks wanted included in 3.17.

I know there's been discussion about a new unified charts API, but as
that's new work, and should probably start out as a beta to gather feedback
and leave room for API changes, I don't feel it needs to be in 3.17.

I noticed last night my commit didn't cause any build failures, so it
appears all the work figuring out which build instances aren't stable has
paid off for now.

Re: 3.17-beta2 vs. 3.17 final?

Posted by "pj.fanning" <fa...@yahoo.com>.
+1 to a 3.17 final release

Re: 3.17-beta2 vs. 3.17 final?

Posted by Greg Woolsey <gr...@gmail.com>.
I have a pull request with Vaadin [1] that is currently an echo chamber - I
think the key developer I've been in contact with is on summer holiday.  I
think I found the last bug in my POI code, and the remaining issues with
their integration tests relate to picking up a POI release with that fix
and one other issue that is entirely Vaadin based, a regression of some
form with my changes that I want their help pinning down.  So I think as
far as I'm concerned 3.17 is ready in that respect.  My next set of
submissions that depend on that PR have to do with Excel data table styles,
another esoteric area of the OOXML spec.  I've got that working and tested
in my project, so I think the POI code there is stable as well.

Replacing the chart API feels like a 4.0 thing to me for sure.  And
deprecating the existing classes/API may need to extend longer than 2
releases, similar to what's been done for the CellType change from int to
Enum, just because it's a major breaking change and there are quite a few
projects that use the chart API one way or another, either for creation or
reading.

I'm ready to vote +1 for a 3.17 release candidate this weekend.  I won't be
checking it until Tuesday, though, since I'm 2 miles from the US solar
eclipse path of totality, and we have guests from the UK arriving...

[1]  https://github.com/vaadin/spreadsheet/pull/595

Re: 3.17-beta2 vs. 3.17 final?