Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Sylvain Lebresne <sy...@datastax.com> on 2012/11/09 09:01:22 UTC

[BETA RELEASE] Apache Cassandra 1.2.0-beta2 released

The Cassandra team is pleased to announce the release of the second beta for
the future Apache Cassandra 1.2.0.

Let me first stress that this is beta software and as such is *not* ready
for
production use.

This release is still beta so is likely not bug free. However, lots have
been
fixed since beta1 and if everything goes right, we are hopeful that a first
release candidate may follow shortly. Please do help testing this beta to
help
make that happen. If you encounter any problem during your testing, please
report[3,4] them. And be sure to a look at the change log[1] and the release
notes[2] to see where Cassandra 1.2 differs from the previous series.

Apache Cassandra 1.2.0-beta2[5] is available as usual from the cassandra
website (http://cassandra.apache.org/download/) and a debian package is
available using the 12x branch (see
http://wiki.apache.org/cassandra/DebianPackaging).

Thank you for your help in testing and have fun with it.

[1]: http://goo.gl/wnDAV (CHANGES.txt)
[2]: http://goo.gl/CBsqs (NEWS.txt)
[3]: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA
[4]: user@cassandra.apache.org
[5]:
http://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=cassandra.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/tags/cassandra-1.2.0-beta2

Re: [BETA RELEASE] Apache Cassandra 1.2.0-beta2 released

Posted by Michael Kjellman <mk...@barracuda.com>.
Ohh lala. Any documentation yet?

On Nov 10, 2012, at 6:27 PM, "Edward Capriolo" <ed...@gmail.com>> wrote:

just a note for all. The default partitioner is no longer randompartitioner. It is now murmur, and the token range starts in negative numbers. So you don't chose tokens Luke your father taught you anymore.

On Friday, November 9, 2012, Sylvain Lebresne <sy...@datastax.com>> wrote:
> The Cassandra team is pleased to announce the release of the second beta for
> the future Apache Cassandra 1.2.0.
> Let me first stress that this is beta software and as such is *not* ready for
> production use.
> This release is still beta so is likely not bug free. However, lots have been
> fixed since beta1 and if everything goes right, we are hopeful that a first
> release candidate may follow shortly. Please do help testing this beta to help
> make that happen. If you encounter any problem during your testing, please
> report[3,4] them. And be sure to a look at the change log[1] and the release
> notes[2] to see where Cassandra 1.2 differs from the previous series.
> Apache Cassandra 1.2.0-beta2[5] is available as usual from the cassandra
> website (http://cassandra.apache.org/download/) and a debian package is
> available using the 12x branch (see http://wiki.apache.org/cassandra/DebianPackaging).
> Thank you for your help in testing and have fun with it.
> [1]: http://goo.gl/wnDAV (CHANGES.txt)
> [2]: http://goo.gl/CBsqs (NEWS.txt)
> [3]: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA
> [4]: user@cassandra.apache.org<ma...@cassandra.apache.org>
> [5]: http://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=cassandra.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/tags/cassandra-1.2.0-beta2

'Like' us on Facebook for exclusive content and other resources on all Barracuda Networks solutions.
Visit http://barracudanetworks.com/facebook

Re: [BETA RELEASE] Apache Cassandra 1.2.0-beta2 released

Posted by Sylvain Lebresne <sy...@datastax.com>.
On Mon, Nov 12, 2012 at 6:10 PM, Tyler Hobbs <ty...@datastax.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 11, 2012 at 4:21 AM, Sylvain Lebresne <sy...@datastax.com>wrote:
>
>> Actually, if we're going to be precise, it's -2^63 to 2^63 - 1.
>> Long.MIN_VALUE is not a valid token for technical reasons.
>

> I think you typo'd, so just to be clear, did you mean to say that then
> lower end of the range is -2^63 + 1 (leaving -2^63 for special purposes,
> similar to -1 in RandomPartitioner)?

Yes, that's exactly what I meant. Sorry for the typo.

--
Sylvain

Re: [BETA RELEASE] Apache Cassandra 1.2.0-beta2 released

Posted by Tyler Hobbs <ty...@datastax.com>.

DataStax <http://datastax.com/>

Re: [BETA RELEASE] Apache Cassandra 1.2.0-beta2 released

Posted by Sylvain Lebresne <sy...@datastax.com>.
Actually, if we're going to be precise, it's -2^63 to 2^63 - 1.
Long.MIN_VALUE is not a valid token for technical reasons.

Do note that you can still not change partitioner, so the new partitioner
is for new cluster. But that does mean that for existing ones you'll have
to make sure you do keep RandomPartitioner in the yaml when you "merge" old
and new yaml. It's in the NEWS file however (that I do encourage you to
read, at least for new major versions).

--
Sylvain

Posted by Tyler Hobbs <ty...@datastax.com>.