Posted to dev@karaf.apache.org by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com> on 2011/11/30 19:32:35 UTC

Proposed ServerInfo service (trunk)

One of the early design goals of geronimo was to avoid needing any system properties to be set.  To handle "where are we" type questions we had a ServerInfo service that knows what the home and base directories are and can resolve uris against them.

I think it would be useful to have such a service in karaf as well.  In addition I'd like it to be able to supply the String[] command line arguments karaf was started with.

I was thinking this could be in the org.apache.karaf.info package and that could be exported from the framework.  This service could be registered by the startup code.

At the moment I'm just thinking about providing the service.  I haven't looked into changing all uses of the home and base directory system properties to use such a service instead; I think that in principle it would be a good idea but I don't know if I'll have enough time for it right now.

thoughts?

thanks
david jencks

Re: Proposed ServerInfo service (trunk)

Posted by Ioannis Canellos <io...@gmail.com>.
I like the idea. I am not sure though what's the "added value" (just to
clarify I am not questioning its value).

As services are dynamic in nature, and those information (karaf.home,
karaf.data etc) are not (or it seems to me that are not), I am not sure I
understand the benefit.

--
*Ioannis Canellos*
*

**
Blog: http://iocanel.blogspot.com
**
Apache Camel <http://camel.apache.org/> Committer
Apache ServiceMix <http://servicemix.apache.org/>  Committer
Apache Gora <http://incubator.apache.org/gora/> Committer
Apache DirectMemory <http://incubator.apache.org/directmemory/> Committer
*

Re: Proposed ServerInfo service (trunk)

Posted by Andreas Pieber <an...@gmail.com>.
I really like this idea. This would (in addition) also change another
problem discussed a time ago about setting karaf.home and karaf.data via
the Main method. Therefore +1. I don't think that I find any time for this,
but tbh I don't consider it critical. This is only an karaf-internal
improvement. Therefore we can also include it without any problems into
karaf-3.1.0.

Kind regards,
Andreas

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
+1 for providing an info service. It's exactly in line with the
refactoring currently in progress.

Regards
JB

--