Posted to dev@ws.apache.org by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org> on 2019/10/18 12:49:35 UTC

Moving repos to git......

I’d like to propose to start the process of moving some (or all) of our active repos over to git.    Since git.apache.org <http://git.apache.org/> died in August, we’ve kind of lost the ability to use git to interact with our repositories as the mirrors we had there are gone.   What’s worse, the GitHub mirror of wss4j is now not getting updated so it doesn’t contain any of the latest work there.     I’d like to, at least as a start, get Neethi, XmlSchema, and WSS4J moved over to git and hosted on gitbox.apache.org <http://gitbox.apache.org/> with the full GitHub mirroring and integration (pull request, merge buttons, etc…).       Would anyone have any objections to that?    Any other thoughts/concerns?

Would the folks working on Axiom want the Axiom moved over?        That leaves Woden, but I’m wondering if we just retire/archive that project.   4 years since the last release, 2 years since the last commit.

--
Daniel Kulp
dkulp@apache.org <ma...@apache.org> - http://dankulp.com/blog <http://dankulp.com/blog>

Re: Moving repos to git......

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
non-binding +1

Re: Moving repos to git......

Posted by Colm O hEigeartaigh <co...@apache.org>.

Re: Moving repos to git......

Posted by "R.A. Porter" <co...@gmail.com>.
+1

On October 22, 2019 at 14:31 GMT, Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Fri, Oct 18, 2019 at 6:14 PM Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com> wrote:

> FYI, over at Apache Commons, we've migrated most/all of our repositories to GitBox and it's worked like a charm since, the integration with GitHub is great.

I second that. Moving to Gitbox has been very simple (basically
creating a Jira issue), but we are seeing a significant increase in
contributions from external users. It takes time, getting used to work
with Github on ASF projects, but it is definitely worth bothering.

Jochen

Re: Moving repos to git......

Posted by Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@gmail.com>.

Re: Moving repos to git......

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

Re: Moving repos to git......

Posted by 方越 <fr...@icloud.com.INVALID>.
+1

Re: Moving repos to git......

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.
Since there doesn’t seem to be any objections, I’ve gone ahead and filed:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-19322 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-19322>

As I’m not sure how to proceed.   Most migrations now are “self serve”, but since we already have out-of-date repos on GitHub, I’m not sure if the self serve process works.  I’ve asked if the existing repos could be used as the starting point.

Dan

Re: Moving repos to git......

Posted by Andreas Veithen <an...@gmail.com>.
Woden is still used by Axis2. I'll have a look at the self-service
migration procedure and migrate it.

Andreas

Re: Moving repos to git......

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.

https://github.com/apache/ws-neethi <https://github.com/apache/ws-neethi>
https://github.com/apache/ws-wss4j <https://github.com/apache/ws-wss4j>
https://github.com/apache/ws-xmlschema <https://github.com/apache/ws-xmlschema>
https://github.com/apache/ws-axiom <https://github.com/apache/ws-axiom>

https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf#ws <https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf#ws>

> 4) I’m not sure yet what to do with the “parent” stuff or  the site stuff.    Thoughts?     We could create a “ws-parent” git repo for the parent pom.
>
> Yes a "ws-parent" repo sounds good to me.

I’ll likely handle that on Monday.

> 5) I’m also not sure how to make the svn stuff read-only.  The old process for doing that no longer applies.   Will likely need to file a INFRA ticket for that, but I do want to make sure the new setup will work OK for everyone.
>
> Maybe we should consider moving Woden to the attic before doing this (or else creating a git repo if we want to keep it). @Andreas, what do you think?

Well, at this point, I would only mark the 4 “trees” that correspond to the above 4 repos (5 if we add parent) and the rest can remain r/w.     Obviously, http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/webservices/website/ <http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/webservices/website/> will need to remain r/w until we figure other things out for the website. (Or we just keep the web site as-is)   Thus, we can be selective.

Dan

Re: Moving repos to git......

Posted by Colm O hEigeartaigh <co...@apache.org>.
Hi Dan,

Re: Moving repos to git......

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.
Just a little “progress” on this…

I’ve worked with infrastructure a bit and they deleted the “old” out-of-date mirrors from the GitHub apache organization.    They they told me to use the new “self service” method of creating new git repositories and then do the svn2git process myself to populate the repos.   I’ve started doing that.   I believe Neethi is done and I should have the Axiom/WSS4J/XmlSchema done late today.   The svn2git step takes a little while.

So a bunch of notes:

1) The self serve  thing requires the repo names to start with “ws-“ so they will be ws-neethi, ws-wss4j, ws-axiom, and ws-xmlschema

2) I REALLY apologize for the number of emails that will be sent to the commits list through all of this.   Apparently pushing each branch triggers an email.

Re: Moving repos to git......

Posted by Andreas Veithen <an...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Oct 18, 2019 at 1:49 PM Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org> wrote:

> I’d like to propose to start the process of moving some (or all) of our active repos over to git.    Since git.apache.org died in August, we’ve kind of lost the ability to use git to interact with our repositories as the mirrors we had there are gone.   What’s worse, the GitHub mirror of wss4j is now not getting updated so it doesn’t contain any of the latest work there.     I’d like to, at least as a start, get Neethi, XmlSchema, and WSS4J moved over to git and hosted on gitbox.apache.org with the full GitHub mirroring and integration (pull request, merge buttons, etc…).       Would anyone have any objections to that?    Any other thoughts/concerns?
>
> Would the folks working on Axiom want the Axiom moved over?

+1.

Thanks, Andreas.