Posted to dev@mahout.apache.org by Vibhanshu Prasad <vi...@gmail.com> on 2014/10/14 03:18:14 UTC

The portability of MAHOUT platform to python

Hello Everyone,

I am a college student who wants to contribute towards the development of
the mahout library. I have been using this for last 1 year and was
mesmerized by its features.

I wanted to know if someone is working towards exporting this whole
platform to python.

If no, then is there is any possible way i can start doing it. provided
that I am not a committer yet .

Regards
Vibhanshu

RE: The portability of MAHOUT platform to python

Posted by Srikanth Shankara Rao <sr...@aditi.com>.
I know there is some stuff in python - nltk.org or Anaconda Python that does some of the math that is written in Java. I'm not sure if that could be a starting point.

It is plausible to port some of the newer scala stuff to python.  It would take some thought about the right way to do it.

The kicker is going to be that a lot of what Mahout does bottoms out in math that is written in Java.  How that would work from Python is mysterious to me.

Posted by Vibhanshu Prasad <vi...@gmail.com>.
Hey Ted,

for maths python has numpy and scipy libraries which perform calculations
in python.
The reason I am stressing on python is because python is having a big
collection of libraries that future mahout users can exploit if they were
given this platform in python.  This is something similar to what Spark
project is doing.

Vibhanshu

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Vibhanshu Prasad <vi...@gmail.com>.
sure,
please do the same in case you also find something new.

Vibhanshu

Posted by uday kiran <ma...@gmail.com>.
HI Prasad,