Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by Mark Hindess <ma...@googlemail.com> on 2006/06/06 09:16:27 UTC

[apps] welkin (was Re: [VOTE] Acceptance of Harmony-528: ...)

On 5 June 2006 at 15:46, Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org> wrote:
> Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:
> > I have received the ACQs and the BCC for Harmony-528, so I can assert
> > that the critical provenance paperwork is in order and in SVN.
> >
> > Please vote to accept or reject this codebase into the Apache Harmony
> > class library :
> >
> > [ ] + 1 Accept
> > [ ] -1 Reject  (provide reason below)
> >
> > Lets let this run a minimum of 3 days unless a) someone states they need
> > more time or b) we get all committer votes before then.
> >
> > Again, I think that getting this into SVN and letting people supply
> > patches against SVN will be productive.  Also, there's a lot of
> > excitement around getting this in and a binary snapshot created...
>
> +1
>
> can't wait to try Welkin[1] on it ;-)

This looked neat so I ran it, using "java -verbose:class", and loaded
the sample rdf doc.  According to the resulting class load list, you
might have a little longer to wait.  We are still missing three classes:

  javax/sound/sampled/LineListener
  javax/swing/JApplet
  javax/swing/plaf/basic/BasicHTML

Regards,
 Mark.

Re: [apps] welkin (was Re: [VOTE] Acceptance of Harmony-528: ...)

Posted by Alexey Petrenko <al...@gmail.com>.
2006/6/6, Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>:
> BTW, is Harmony's Java2D hardware accelerated or software drawn?
As it was written in contribution email  Java2D uses GDI+ library on
Windows and Xlib on Linux.
So it's almost everywhere hardware accelerated on Windows and almost
everywhere software drawn on Linux.
For now... :)

However there are some cases when we use software drawing on Windows.
Because not all the Java entities can be converted into GDI+ entities.
For example we can not fill shapes with acyclic  gradient by GDI+
routines.

You can read more about our Java2D implemntation internals in the
attached documentation (modules/awt/doc/Java2D.html).

--
Alexey A. Petrenko
Intel Middleware Products Division

Re: [apps] welkin (was Re: [VOTE] Acceptance of Harmony-528: ...)

Posted by Anton Avtamonov <an...@gmail.com>.
On 6/6/06, Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org> wrote:
<SNIP>
> That's interesting.... I suspect that BasicHTML and LineListener are
> dependencies of JApplet because I don't use sound nor HTML rendering in
> there... but I do extend JApplet.

Yes, unfortunately JApplet is not there yet :-(

Some assumptions regarding BasicHTML and sound (I can't promise I'm
100% correct):

All Swing components support HTML-formatted text (not done in Harmony
yet). BasicHTML is the entry point for that. I suppose that RI
implementation performs check BasicHTML.isHTMLString() for all text
lines of swing components. Therefore BasicHTML is triggered even
application has no HTML formatting.
So, we can forget about this class for now - Harmony doesn't need it
for the time being and should perfectly work for plain text.

About sound... Just an assumption that it was requested from L&F for
some component (L&F should provide audio action maps). It is also not
currently implemented for Harmony and should not prevent applications
from being run sucessfully.

> Hmmm...
>
> BTW, is Harmony's Java2D hardware accelerated or software drawn?

Our 2D implementation is based on GDI/GDI+ technologies. Therefore it
is as accelerated as those technologies are :-).

Anton Avtamonov,

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.