Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Emmanuel Bourg <eb...@apache.org> on 2012/03/06 18:42:12 UTC

[VOTE] Promote [csv] to Commons proper

Commons CSV is approaching a releasable state. Considering the general
interest in this component I think it's time to promote it to Commons
proper.

There are a few points I'd like to address before a release:
- Handle CSV headers, a CSV API looks incomplete to me without this
- Examine the feasibility of adding a simple bean mapping feature
- Extract the unicode unescaping feature as an implementation of
java.io.Reader, and maybe contribute it to Commons IO
- Improve the documentation

[ ] +1 Promote it!
[ ] -1 Let it crawl in the sandbox because...

Emmanuel Bourg

Re: [VOTE] Promote [csv] to Commons proper

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.
+1

Niall

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.
+1

Unfortunately I cannot offer help, I am totally out of time

--
http://www.grobmeier.de
https://www.timeandbill.de

Re: [VOTE] Promote [csv] to Commons proper

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>.
+1

--
Dennis Lundberg

Re: [VOTE] Promote [csv] to Commons proper

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Mar 6, 2012 at 4:13 PM, Emmanuel Bourg <eb...@apache.org> wrote:

> Le 06/03/2012 22:09, Gary Gregory a écrit :
>
>> Let's not hesitate to go to Java 6 if it helps.
>>
>> Gary
>>

> I do consider Java 6. I'm pondering if Commons CSV can be plugged with
> JAXB to implement the bean parsing.

JAXB is pretty hard wired to XML. Let's leave beans for a 2.0.

Gary

Blog: http://garygregory.wordpress.com
Home: http://garygregory.com/
Tweet! http://twitter.com/GaryGregory

Re: [VOTE] Promote [csv] to Commons proper

Posted by Emmanuel Bourg <eb...@apache.org>.

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
Let's start a separate thread for naming then.

Gary

Posted by Matt Benson <gu...@gmail.com>.
As the original creator of [flatfile] it would be interesting to see
how difficult it would be to make [flatfile] do any of the things that
[csv] can currently do; e.g. [flatfile] can already handle a delimited
column structure.

Posted by Simone Tripodi <si...@apache.org>.
Hi all,

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Emmanuel Bourg <eb...@apache.org>.

Posted by Torsten Curdt <tc...@vafer.org>.

CSV is the name of the least surprise ...even if it supports e.g. TSV as well.
I would keep the name just for user to find it. Especially as the line
between CSV/TSV/TXT is quite blurry.

> Since CSV is currently only a single package with very few classes,
> would it perhaps be suitable as a part of an existing Commons
> component?
>
> For example, Codec?

I don't see that fit. It's small but no one will expect it in Codec.

> Just a thought.
> There are ways around the jar size if that is considered to be a
> problem (e.g. Net releases its FTP code as a separate jar as well as
> combined).

Even if you want your artifact to be as small as possible - here are
ways to do this.
This is a packaging problem of the project not it's dependencies.

cheers,
Torsten

Re: [VOTE] Promote [csv] to Commons proper

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 7 March 2012 07:04, Jörg Schaible <Jo...@scalaris.com> wrote:
> Ralph Goers wrote:

>>> Given the "release" by Solr, perhaps now would be a good time to
>>> revisit that discussion.
>>>
>>> It would solve any package name clashes without needing to call it
>>> csv2 or whatever.
>>>

>> Yeah. How about Commons Solr.
>>
>> not serious of course.
>
> ROFL
>
> ;-)

Slightly more serious:

Since CSV is currently only a single package with very few classes,
would it perhaps be suitable as a part of an existing Commons
component?

For example, Codec?
One could look on the parsing as decoding the input, and (at least
some of) the formats as encoding.

Posted by Jörg Schaible <Jo...@scalaris.com>.
Ralph Goers wrote:

> On Mar 6, 2012, at 8:51 PM, sebb wrote:
>
>> On 7 March 2012 01:43, James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com> wrote:
>>> I still think it should be renamed, but I think I lost that battle.
>>
>> Given the "release" by Solr, perhaps now would be a good time to
>> revisit that discussion.
>>
>> It would solve any package name clashes without needing to call it
>> csv2 or whatever.
>>

> Yeah. How about Commons Solr.
>
> not serious of course.

ROFL

;-)

Re: [VOTE] Promote [csv] to Commons proper

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.
On Mar 6, 2012, at 8:51 PM, sebb wrote:

> On 7 March 2012 01:43, James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com> wrote:
>> I still think it should be renamed, but I think I lost that battle.
>
> Given the "release" by Solr, perhaps now would be a good time to
> revisit that discussion.
>
> It would solve any package name clashes without needing to call it
> csv2 or whatever.

Yeah. How about Commons Solr.

not serious of course.

Re: [VOTE] Promote [csv] to Commons proper

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 7 March 2012 01:43, James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com> wrote:
> I still think it should be renamed, but I think I lost that battle.

Given the "release" by Solr, perhaps now would be a good time to
revisit that discussion.

It would solve any package name clashes without needing to call it
csv2 or whatever.

> It's not just for comma-separated values.  I'd rather us come up with
> a more generic name.

+1, I'd support that.

How about DSV?

Delimiter Separated Values.

Sounds similar to CSV and C++=D !

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.

Posted by Simone Tripodi <si...@apache.org>.
+1 as well

Posted by Siegfried Goeschl <sg...@gmx.at>.
+1

Posted by Luc Maisonobe <Lu...@free.fr>.
Le 06/03/2012 18:42, Emmanuel Bourg a écrit :
> Commons CSV is approaching a releasable state. Considering the general
> interest in this component I think it's time to promote it to Commons
> proper.
>
> There are a few points I'd like to address before a release:
> - Handle CSV headers, a CSV API looks incomplete to me without this
> - Examine the feasibility of adding a simple bean mapping feature
> - Extract the unicode unescaping feature as an implementation of
> java.io.Reader, and maybe contribute it to Commons IO
> - Improve the documentation
>

> [X] +1 Promote it!

Luc

Posted by Elijah Zupancic <el...@zupancic.name>.
I'm not an committer, but I've been monitoring the CSV project for a
couple of years and I'm really happy to see it trying to emerge from
the sandbox. If it does go to release, I will be dropping OpenCsv and
switching to it for my projects both personal and professional.

Please accept my virtual +1 on going to release.

Thanks,
-Elijah

Posted by Thomas Neidhart <th...@gmail.com>.
On 03/06/2012 06:42 PM, Emmanuel Bourg wrote:
> Commons CSV is approaching a releasable state. Considering the general
> interest in this component I think it's time to promote it to Commons
> proper.
>
> There are a few points I'd like to address before a release:
> - Handle CSV headers, a CSV API looks incomplete to me without this
> - Examine the feasibility of adding a simple bean mapping feature
> - Extract the unicode unescaping feature as an implementation of
> java.io.Reader, and maybe contribute it to Commons IO
> - Improve the documentation
>

> [X] +1 Promote it!

I have used opencsv several times in the past, and everytime I was
displeased that there was no proper apache component for it.

So I would be pleased to see commons-csv being promoted.

Thomas

Re: [VOTE] Promote [csv] to Commons proper

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Jörg Schaible <jo...@gmx.de>.
Emmanuel Bourg wrote:

> Commons CSV is approaching a releasable state. Considering the general
> interest in this component I think it's time to promote it to Commons
> proper.
>
> There are a few points I'd like to address before a release:
> - Handle CSV headers, a CSV API looks incomplete to me without this
> - Examine the feasibility of adding a simple bean mapping feature
> - Extract the unicode unescaping feature as an implementation of
> java.io.Reader, and maybe contribute it to Commons IO
> - Improve the documentation
>

> [ ] +1 Promote it!
> [ ] -1 Let it crawl in the sandbox because...
>
> Emmanuel Bourg

+1

Re: [VOTE][RESULT] Promote [csv] to Commons proper

Posted by Emmanuel Bourg <eb...@apache.org>.
Le 09/03/2012 23:06, Emmanuel Bourg a écrit :

> The project has been created in JIRA, I'll try to move the issues
> without spamming the list this time.

Issues have been moved. I'm now officially mastering the bulk edit
function of JIRA :) There is some work left to assign the issues to a
proper component and add the missing 'Fix version'. The CSV component
has been removed from the SANDBOX project in JIRA.

Emmanuel Bourg

Re: [VOTE][RESULT] Promote [csv] to Commons proper

Posted by Matt Benson <gu...@gmail.com>.
(lost group)

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Matt Benson <gu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 9 March 2012 23:41, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 9 March 2012 22:06, Emmanuel Bourg <eb...@apache.org> wrote:
>> The vote to promote Commons CSV to Commons proper has passed with 13 +1:
>>
>> Christian Grobmeier +1
>> Damjan Jovanovic    +1
>> Dennis Lundberg     +1
>> Emmanuel Bourg      +1
>> Gary Gregory        +1
>> James Carman        +1
>> Jörg Schaible       +1
>> Luc Maisonobe       +1
>> Niall Pemberton     +1
>> Sebastian Bazley    +1
>> Siegfried Goeschl   +1
>> Simone Tripodi      +1
>> Thomas Neidhart     +1
>>
>> This vote also received the support of:
>>
>> Elijah Zupancic
>> Jacopo Cappellato (OFBiz PMC)
>>

>> Thanks all for your support!
>>
>> The project has been created in JIRA, I'll try to move the issues without
>> spamming the list this time.
>>
>> Also if someone experienced with the process of moving the components in SVN
>> could step forward, his help would be greatly appreciated.
>>

> I can do that shortly.

Hopefully now done.

Also did Continuum and Gump.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Emmanuel Bourg <eb...@apache.org>.

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
+1 and some comments below

On Tue, Mar 6, 2012 at 12:42 PM, Emmanuel Bourg <eb...@apache.org> wrote:

> Commons CSV is approaching a releasable state. Considering the general
> interest in this component I think it's time to promote it to Commons
> proper.
>
> There are a few points I'd like to address before a release:
> - Handle CSV headers, a CSV API looks incomplete to me without this

Yes, this seems important.

> - Examine the feasibility of adding a simple bean mapping feature

I would pass on this for 1.0. Release early, release often.

> - Extract the unicode unescaping feature as an implementation of
> java.io.Reader, and maybe contribute it to Commons IO
>

> - Improve the documentation

Always a good thing!

Gary

Posted by Damjan Jovanovic <da...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Mar 6, 2012 at 7:42 PM, Emmanuel Bourg <eb...@apache.org> wrote:
> Commons CSV is approaching a releasable state. Considering the general
> interest in this component I think it's time to promote it to Commons
> proper.
>
> There are a few points I'd like to address before a release:
> - Handle CSV headers, a CSV API looks incomplete to me without this
> - Examine the feasibility of adding a simple bean mapping feature
> - Extract the unicode unescaping feature as an implementation of
> java.io.Reader, and maybe contribute it to Commons IO
> - Improve the documentation
>

> [ ] +1 Promote it!
> [ ] -1 Let it crawl in the sandbox because...
>
> Emmanuel Bourg

+1
Would be nice to see all of the above features, and some annotations
with the bean mapping if possible, but release what you can.