Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by "David F. Newman" <dn...@epnet.com> on 2004/09/14 17:02:44 UTC

Updating Branches

Hi list,
I am managing an Oracle database with subversion.  I have it setup so
that development is happening in trunk/ and I have tags like tags/QA and
tags/PROD.

My question is in the moving of files from tag to tag.  For example, I
want my developers to say trunk/schema/functions/func1.fnc in revision
151 is ready to go to QA.

The first thing I tried to do was a merge.  The existing func1.fnc in QA
was from revision 119 of the trunk.  I'd do something like

svn merge -r 119:151 \
svn://svn-server/database/trunk/schema/functions/func1.fnc.

which would work, but $Id$ in func1.fnc is updated to the current
revision of the repository.  So the next thing I tried was

svn delete func1.fnc
svn copy \
-r 151 svn://svn-server/database/trunk/schema/functions/func1.fnc

Which fails with a message about a non-present existing file with the
same name.

So what I do now is

svn delete func1.fnc
svn commit
svn copy -r 151 \
svn://svn-server/database/trunk/schema/functions/func1.fnc
svn commit

And I now have the file func1.fnc in the QA tag with the correct
Revision in $Id$.  While this does work it takes 2 commits which seems
kludgey to me.  Is there a better way to accomplish this task?

-Dave