Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org> on 2006/12/01 22:36:39 UTC

Re: PROPOSAL: commons-ssl -> commons-sslutils?

On Fri, 2006-12-01 at 15:20 -0500, Vadim Gritsenko wrote:
> Julius Davies wrote:
> > I had to explain that Commons-SSL just sits on top of the JSSE and JCE
> > to try and make working with SSL and Java easier.  Your point about
> > the name is a good one.
>
> The counterpoint to name argument. Just single example, I'm sure there are many
> more: commons-logging sits on top of log4j/java logger/logkit/... and tries to
> make working with all them seamless.
>
> commons-ssl may be not the best name but it isn't terribly bad either.
>
> Vadim

Folks,

What about Commons-SSLUtils? This name seems consistent with already
existent Commons projects (DBUtils)

Julius,

Since "what-some-day-might-become-commons-ssl" is partially based on
some little bits of code I wrote, you can safely add me to the initial
list of committers. I will not be able to do a lot in terms of coding,
given my HttpComponents commitments, but I could help by doing some code
reviews once in a while and participating in design decisions.

Cheers,

Oleg

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.
On 12/1/06, Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Fri, 2006-12-01 at 15:20 -0500, Vadim Gritsenko wrote:
> > Julius Davies wrote:
> > > I had to explain that Commons-SSL just sits on top of the JSSE and JCE
> > > to try and make working with SSL and Java easier.  Your point about
> > > the name is a good one.
> >
> > The counterpoint to name argument. Just single example, I'm sure there
> are many
> > more: commons-logging sits on top of log4j/java logger/logkit/... and
> tries to
> > make working with all them seamless.
> >
> > commons-ssl may be not the best name but it isn't terribly bad either.
> >
> > Vadim
> >

> Folks,
>
> What about Commons-SSLUtils? This name seems consistent with already
> existent Commons projects (DBUtils)

Calling it Commons-anything presupposes where it would land up after
incubation. That's not something that we should be doing, as the final
resting place of an incubated project is not determined until incubation has
successfully completed.

On the other hand, I think SSLUtils would be a fine name to run with.

--
Martin Cooper