Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by Herman Reintke <hr...@tauri.nl> on 2007/08/08 17:10:02 UTC

Rome_RSS portlet saving local data

LS,

I installed a fresh jetspeed 2.1.2 using the binary installer using all defaults
except the base directory location.

All starts up OK, no errors as far as I can see.

After logging in as Admin I created a few pages with Rome_RSS portlets.
I configured the porlets each with another RSS feed.

Now I have the following :

- When not logged in I only see the default RSS feed from the portlet
- When logged in as admin it is not always the same
    Sometimes the default rss feed
    Sometimes the newly configured ones.
  I have not (yet) found the rationale behind both options.

Questions :

  - How can I configure a Rome_rss portlet config to be used by a guest
  - Did anyone see the same when logged in ?

BTW : I have a 2.0 version of jetspeed running where it works as I expected.

Kind regards,

Herman Reintke

Re: Rome_RSS portlet saving local data

Posted by Herman Reintke <hr...@tauri.nl>.
David Sean Taylor <david <at> bluesunrise.com> writes:

> > When logged im as admin and getting the "default" rss feed, when I
> > look in
> > configure portlet I see the updated rss feed.
> > Switching back to view mode loads the "admin" rss feed.
> >
> > If can create any logs or views that can help just let me know.
> >

> Well, Im not sure what is causing it, but I do believe that it is
> happening
> Why I cannot reproduce it is a mystery right now
> Did you start with a page provided by the demo, or did you create
> your own brand new page like I did
> If you could go through these steps:
>
> * login as admin, go into page edit mode (customize)
> * create a new page
> * add the Football BBC RSS portlet to the page
> * override it to cricket
> * verify that the admin user now has cricket
> * logout
> * verify that the guest user now has football
> * login as admin
> * verify that the admin user now has cricket

David,

It is about the same as I did before but I did the process above on a new
installed jetspeed instance.
All is OK but.... after the last login as admin I get the data from the
football feed instead of cricket.
I created a jetspeed.swf file from my actions which you can get at the
website at 213.84.191.74.

I am running jetspeed on a WinXP system.

Posted by David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>.

Posted by Herman Reintke <hr...@tauri.nl>.

Posted by David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>.
On Aug 8, 2007, at 11:58 PM, Herman Reintke wrote:

> David Sean Taylor <david <at> bluesunrise.com> writes:
>

>>> - When not logged in I only see the default RSS feed from the
>        Portlet
>>> - When logged in as admin it is not always the same
>>>     Sometimes the default rss feed
>>>     Sometimes the newly configured ones.
>>>   I have not (yet) found the rationale behind both options.
>>>

>> Yes, we changed the behavior (due to overwhelming requests from end
>> users) so that preferences are not truly "user-specific"
>> So if you login as the Administrator, change the preferences for an
>> RSS portlet, then those preferences are only stored for the admin
>> user
>> and are not visible to other users. In 2.0, preferences were not
>> stored for a specific-user. They were stored uniquely on the page.
>>
>> We plan to provide a new "Configure" mode in the next release
>> addressing this issue by allowing the administrator to configure the
>> defaults for all users on the current page,
>> override the defaults made available in the portlet.xml system wide
>>
>> See
>>
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JS2-634
>>
>> If you don't want to wait, you can configure the system to work the
>> "old" 2.0 way although I don't recommend that, as this fix should be
>> available in the next bug fix release within the next month or so
>>

> Thanks David,
>
> at least I understand and will log in to see the correct pages.
>
> Or is there a way to configure in a dirty way by changing xml files
> or DB
> Content ?

Not really

Posted by Herman Reintke <hr...@tauri.nl>.