Posted to dev@ripple.apache.org by "Parashuram Narasimhan (MS OPEN TECH)" <pa...@microsoft.com> on 2014/06/24 22:27:36 UTC

Ripple as a platform

Hey,

I wanted to introduce you to a prototype that we have been working on, in making Ripple more extensible. This prototype positions Ripple as a Cordova platform, very similar to iOS, Android or Windows phone.

Ripple currently supports some core built-in plugins. The idea of making it a platform is for any plugin (including core plugins and third party plugins) simulate the information when user code calls the plugin. The plug in would just have to add the "Ripple" platform, and have a javascript file that emits the required mock or real data.

This is also very similar to the cordova-browser where browser becomes a cordova platform. For next steps, we are looking at how we could try to layer Ripple on top of Cordova browser since the underlying platforms for both systems are similar.

P.S: We would also need an API for plugins to display widgets that let users manipulate the data a plugin returns. This prototype does not address that issue, but is aware of it, and we are looking at community help to fix the problem

Here is the project and the instructions on how to run it.

You can test it with following commands:

1.       Install cordova-cli and cordova-lib

a.       cd to d:\cordova

b.      Get cordova-cli

git clone https://github.com/msopentech/cordova-cli

c.       Get cordova-lib

git clone https://github.com/msopentech/cordova-lib

d.      Link your cordova-lib repo to cordova-cli node-modules:

cd cordova-cli\node_modules

mklink /d cordova-lib d:\cordova\cordova-lib\cordova-lib (this should be run with admin privileges)

e.      Install dependencies to both cordova-cli and cordova-lib:

cd cordova-cli && npm install

cd cordova-lib\cordova-lib && npm install

f.        Now you can run CLI with following:

D:\cordova\cordova-cli\bin\cordova.cmd

You can make alias for this command or run it any other way.

2.       Create test  project

cordova create test-project

3.       Replace www folder inside the project with the one from the attachment

4.       Add ripple platform

cordova platform add ripple

5.       Add camera plugin

cordova plugin add https://github.com/MSOpenTech/cordova-plugin-camera.git

6.       Start application

cordova emulate

Would love to hear your feedback and any other question you may have. Please let us know if this sounds interesting.

Re: Ripple as a platform

Posted by Raymond Camden <ra...@gmail.com>.
You got me - at this point I'm so confused I think I'd rather just wait
till you guys are closer to release.

RE: Ripple as a platform

Posted by "Parashuram Narasimhan (MS OPEN TECH)" <pa...@microsoft.com>.

Re: Ripple as a platform