Posted to dev@pulsar.apache.org by tison <wa...@gmail.com> on 2023/05/14 07:28:43 UTC

[DISCUSS] Replace stale bot with ping-pong workflow

Hi devs,

Recently, I have handled a large number of stale issues and noticed that
periodically notifying users that "the issue is stale" without any human
reaction can be a frustrating experience, e.g., ISSUE-13925[1].

Learning from the INFRA JIRA project experience, I propose we replace the
stale bot with a ping-pong workflow. That is -

ping - Labeling waiting-for-reviewer on issue created and commented by
non-committers
pong - Labeling waiting-for-user on issue responded by committers

Here is a demo implementation[2] you can refer to and you can try the
workflow in my fork[3].

Previous references -

* The triage guide[4]
* [DISCUSS] Does stale bot make value for you?[5]
* [COMMITTER ATTENTION] You can close stale issues as not planned [6]

Looking forward to your feedback :D

Best,
tison.

[1] https://github.com/apache/pulsar/issues/13925
[2] https://github.com/apache/pulsar/pull/20319
[3] https://github.com/tisonkun/pulsar
[4] https://pulsar.apache.org/contribute/develop-triage
[5] https://lists.apache.org/thread/tv774jqohdpx8x0dymsskrd90xwwfvgp
[6] https://lists.apache.org/thread/x2c7xod8y0wvh14nsb6bknf0dq3r9gls

Re: [DISCUSS] Replace stale bot with ping-pong workflow

Posted by tison <wa...@gmail.com>.
Thank you!

I saw a few other complains for this "noise" from the issue author recently
also.

Since the real-world solution is handling issues effectively, I support
disable this action. Keep the PR open for a while to accept comments.

I'll merge this patch in the next monday if no more objection.

Best,
tison.

Asaf Mesika <as...@gmail.com> 于2023年11月9日周四 21:21写道:

Posted by Asaf Mesika <as...@gmail.com>.