Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Bill Moseley <mo...@hank.org> on 2000/07/03 02:15:25 UTC

Undefined subroutine &Apache::RegistryNG->handler::handler

This question has come up before (and I've asked it before) and I'm still
not sure of a solution.  It's been a while, so maybe someone else has seen
(and solved) it?

I get about 20 or so of these errors every day out of say 10,000 request
for this RegistryNG script.  I can't seem to make it happen, so I'm having
a hard time tracking it down:

  Undefined subroutine &Apache::RegistryNG->handler::handler called at
  /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.005/sun4-solaris/Apache.pm line 183.

The line number is not always the same on this error message.

Followed by that message -- often a few minutes (often three minutes) is

  Can't locate object method "handler" via package
  "handler" at
  /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.005/sun4-solaris/Apache.pm line 183.

And this in the Apache error log at the same time as the second message above:

  child pid 9405 exit signal Segmentation Fault (11)

Now, I am loading RegistryNG in startup.pl as has been suggested in the
past.

  use Apache::RegistryNG;

This same problem happens with Apache::Registry, so it's not just RegistryNG.

I'm running on Apache/1.3.9 (Unix) mod_perl/1.21, which is a bit old (but
it's it was updated to that version in an attempt to fix this problem).

I've got a short table at http://www.hank.org/undef.html that has a few of
the errors which include the time, PID, the request count for that child
process, and the return from caller().  But it hasn't helped me solve this
problem.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Bill Moseley
mailto:moseley@hank.org

Re: Undefined subroutine &Apache::RegistryNG->handler::handler

Posted by Doug MacEachern <do...@covalent.net>.
On Sun, 2 Jul 2000, Bill Moseley wrote:

> This question has come up before (and I've asked it before) and I'm still
> not sure of a solution.  It's been a while, so maybe someone else has seen
> (and solved) it?
>
> I get about 20 or so of these errors every day out of say 10,000 request
> for this RegistryNG script.  I can't seem to make it happen, so I'm having
> a hard time tracking it down:
>
>   Undefined subroutine &Apache::RegistryNG->handler::handler called at
>   /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.005/sun4-solaris/Apache.pm line 183.
>
> The line number is not always the same on this error message.
>
> Followed by that message -- often a few minutes (often three minutes) is
>
>   Can't locate object method "handler" via package
>   "handler" at
>   /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.005/sun4-solaris/Apache.pm line 183.
>

> And this in the Apache error log at the same time as the second message above:
>
>   child pid 9405 exit signal Segmentation Fault (11)
>

> Now, I am loading RegistryNG in startup.pl as has been suggested in the
> past.
>
>   use Apache::RegistryNG;
>

> This same problem happens with Apache::Registry, so it's not just RegistryNG.
>
> I'm running on Apache/1.3.9 (Unix) mod_perl/1.21, which is a bit old (but
> it's it was updated to that version in an attempt to fix this problem).

you should upgrade to 1.24, there's been fixes since 1.21 that might be
related to your problem.