Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by "Musayev, Ilya" <im...@webmd.net> on 2013/09/11 17:25:37 UTC

[PROPOSAL][SIMPLIFY] Future ACS RC testing

As mentioned on private, I think the reason we have so few responders when it comes to voting - is because it takes considerable amount of time to build, test and QA. And if you take voting serious as everyone should, you have to QA before you can vote.

Perhaps we should spent some time on automation and take an automation step further.

My next dream project is to create a set of 3 virtual appliances.

Set 1:

2 KVM Hypervisors preconfigured with NFS

1 CloudStack MS with latest RC code

Set 2:

2 XEN Hypervisors preconfigured with NFS

1 CloudStack MS with latest RC code

Set 3:

1 CloudStack MS with latest RC code

Set 3 get a bit hairy because of Virtual Center and licensing, so we abstract it and let folks QA what they have.

Do you find this approach useful, or do you believe the build tests we do is sufficient?

Who can join or atleast share scripts they use to automate provisioning of KVM and XEN hosts?

I'm looking for set of "post" scripts they can configure XEN and KVM end 2 end.

Thanks
ilya

Re: [PROPOSAL][SIMPLIFY] Future ACS RC testing

Posted by Daan Hoogland <da...@gmail.com>.
shoot a time, you will miss some of us. how about wednesday 19:00 cet
this is the time the irc meeting used to be.

Posted by Daan Hoogland <da...@gmail.com>.
so hijackit, are we on for wednesday morning/afternoon/evening/night?

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.

Posted by Marcus Sorensen <sh...@gmail.com>.
It's Dave Nalley's thread :-)

Posted by "Musayev, Ilya" <im...@webmd.net>.

Posted by Daan Hoogland <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.
On Mon, Sep 16, 2013 at 1:05 PM, Daan Hoogland <da...@gmail.com> wrote:
> A worthy cause, and we should all strive for it.  It does put extra
> constraints on things like db upgrade scripts however. If ACS is
> releasable at all times, can users make their own release and expect
> all upgrade paths to work?
>
> I disagreed with you on documentation as a commit criteria in another
> thread, David. I do favor (extensive) unit tests as criteria.

Disagreeing is fine - no one (least of all me) says that my opinion is
right all of the time. :)

Over time I've become less concerned about a feature working, and more
concerned about changes in a feature breaking the rest of CloudStack.
Both are important - but I am to the point that I think that new
features (and bugfixes) need to demonstrate that they don't harm the
rest of ACS in the process. The real problem is that CloudStack is so
large in scope that not many understand the full scope of
interactions.

--David

Re: [PROPOSAL][SIMPLIFY] Future ACS RC testing

Posted by Daan Hoogland <da...@gmail.com>.
A worthy cause, and we should all strive for it.  It does put extra
constraints on things like db upgrade scripts however. If ACS is
releasable at all times, can users make their own release and expect
all upgrade paths to work?

I disagreed with you on documentation as a commit criteria in another
thread, David. I do favor (extensive) unit tests as criteria.

Daan

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.

Posted by Marcus Sorensen <sh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by sebgoa <ru...@gmail.com>.