Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Pearl d'Silva <pe...@shapeblue.com> on 2021/09/01 12:19:36 UTC

[DISCUSS] SystemVM template upgrade improvements

Hi All,

We have been working on a feature that simplifies SystemVM template install and upgrades for CloudStack. Historically we've required users to seed the template on secondary storage during fresh installation and register the template before an upgrade - this really does not make CloudStack turnkey, as we end up maintaining and managing them as a separate component - for example, users can't simply do an apt-get upgrade or yum upgrade to upgrade CloudStack.

The feature works by automatically initiating registration of the SystemVM templates during upgrades or when the first secondary storage is added to a zone where the SystemVM template hasn't been seeded. This feature addresses several operational pain points for example, when the admin user forgets to register the SystemVM template prior to an upgrade and faces the issue of having to roll back the database midway during the upgrade process. With this feature the upgrade process is seamless, such that the end users do not need to worry about having to perform template registration, but rather have the upgrade process take care of everything that is required.

In order to facilitate this feature, the SystemVM templates have to be bundled with the cloudstack-management rpm/deb package which causes the total noredist cloudstack-management package size to increase to about 1.6GB. We currently are packaging templates of only the three widely supported hypervisors - KVM, XenServer/XCP-ng and VMWare.
(These templates are only packaged if the build is initiated with the noredist flag.)

We'd like to get your opinion on this idea.

Thanks & Regards,
Pearl Dsilva

Re: [DISCUSS] SystemVM template upgrade improvements

Posted by Pearl d'Silva <pe...@shapeblue.com>.
Hi Nathan,

You are right, the inclusion of templates as part of the cloudstack management package was done bearing in mind that we may have users with restricted internet connection.
With respect to the second point you make, while creating separate packages for different hypervisor templates would solve the issue of the size of the package, we may still end up facing the same issue of missing systemVM templates in scenarios where we start off with a zone with say, KVM hosts and in due course of time, decide to add XenServer/ VMWare hosts and the admin doesn't install the hypervisor specific packages. Keeping that in mind, we thought that the all-in-one approach covers more ground.

Thanks,
Pearl

________________________________
Posted by Nathan McGarvey <na...@gmail.com>.
+1

wrote:

> I probably missed adding the PR link to the feature -
> https://github.com/apache/cloudstack/pull/4329. Please do provide you
> inputs.
>

> Thanks,
> Pearl
>
> ________________________________

Hean Seng

Re: [DISCUSS] SystemVM template upgrade improvements

wrote:

> I probably missed adding the PR link to the feature -
> https://github.com/apache/cloudstack/pull/4329. Please do provide you
> inputs.
>

> Thanks,
> Pearl
>
> ________________________________

Hean Seng

Re: [DISCUSS] SystemVM template upgrade improvements

Posted by Pearl d'Silva <pe...@shapeblue.com>.
Hi Hean,

Thanks for your response. As mentioned, the usual upgrade procedure, of admins registering template prior upgrade continues to be supported and if we find the new systemvm template already registered the new logic for setting up the templates doesn't kick in.

Thanks,
Pearl

________________________________

wrote:

> I probably missed adding the PR link to the feature -
> https://github.com/apache/cloudstack/pull/4329. Please do provide you
> inputs.
>

> Thanks,
> Pearl
>
> ________________________________

Hean Seng

Re: [DISCUSS] SystemVM template upgrade improvements

Posted by Hean Seng <he...@gmail.com>.

wrote:

> I probably missed adding the PR link to the feature -
> https://github.com/apache/cloudstack/pull/4329. Please do provide you
> inputs.
>

> Thanks,
> Pearl
>
> ________________________________

Hean Seng

Re: [DISCUSS] SystemVM template upgrade improvements

Posted by Hean Seng <he...@gmail.com>.

wrote:

> I probably missed adding the PR link to the feature -
> https://github.com/apache/cloudstack/pull/4329. Please do provide you
> inputs.
>

> Thanks,
> Pearl
>
> ________________________________

Hean Seng

Re: [DISCUSS] SystemVM template upgrade improvements

Posted by Pearl d'Silva <pe...@shapeblue.com>.

Posted by Rohit Yadav <ro...@shapeblue.com>.
+1

Love this idea, I had actually tweeted about it and many from the community on Twitter really liked it at the time:
https://twitter.com/rhtyd/status/1420364812056350720

Regards.

________________________________

Posted by Pearl d'Silva <pe...@shapeblue.com>.

[DISCUSS] Upgrade to Vue3 library

Posted by Mai Nguyen <ho...@ext.ewerk.com>.
Hi All,

We are upgrading a Vue 2 application to Vue 3 on CloudStack. As far as our investigation goes, Vue 3 does support migration from Vue 2 to Vue 3 by using `@vue/compat` (aka "the migration build"). However, it is worth mentioning that there are some incompatible features (please refer to: https://v3.vuejs.org/guide/migration/migration-build.html#overview).
The biggest differences between Vue 2 and Vue 3 on Cloudstack are:
- mount: https://v3.vuejs.org/guide/migration/mount-changes.html#overview
- Slots: https://v3.vuejs.org/guide/component-slots.html#slots
- Async components: https://v3.vuejs.org/guide/migration/async-components.html#async-components
- Events: https://v3.vuejs.org/guide/migration/events-api.html#overview
- Watch: https://v3.vuejs.org/guide/migration/watch.html#overview

In order to make them compatible with Vue 3, it is necessary to upgrade or replace some libraries as well as some other components, which are listed below:
- Antd: https://2x.antdv.com/components/overview
- Router: https://next.router.vuejs.org/installation.html
- I18n: https://vue-i18n.intlify.dev/introduction.html
- Clipboard: https://www.npmjs.com/package/vue3-clipboard
- Vue-ls (https://www.npmjs.com/package/vue-ls) => vue-web-storage (https://github.com/ankurk91/vue-web-storage)

These upgrades and replacements will require changes in source code, structure and elements in UI. We would like to have your opinions about it.

Thank you and best regards,

__

Mai Nguyen
Frontend Developer

EWERK DIGITAL GmbH
Brühl 24, D-04109 Leipzig
F +49 341 42649 - 98
hoang.nguyen@ext.ewerk.com
www.ewerk.com

Geschäftsführer:
Dr. Erik Wende, Hendrik Schubert, Tassilo Möschke
Registergericht: Leipzig HRB 9065

Support:
+49 341 42649 555

Zertifiziert nach:
ISO/IEC 27001:2013
DIN EN ISO 9001:2015
DIN ISO/IEC 20000-1:2018

ISAE 3402 Typ II Assessed

EWERK-Blog<https://blog.ewerk.com/> | LinkedIn<https://www.linkedin.com/company/ewerk-group> | Xing<https://www.xing.com/company/ewerk> | Twitter<https://twitter.com/EWERK_Group> | Facebook<https://de-de.facebook.com/EWERK.Group/>

Auskünfte und Angebote per Mail sind freibleibend und unverbindlich.

Disclaimer Privacy:
Der Inhalt dieser E-Mail (einschließlich etwaiger beigefügter Dateien) ist vertraulich und nur für den Empfänger bestimmt. Sollten Sie nicht der bestimmungsgemäße Empfänger sein, ist Ihnen jegliche Offenlegung, Vervielfältigung, Weitergabe oder Nutzung des Inhalts untersagt. Bitte informieren Sie in diesem Fall unverzüglich den Absender und löschen Sie die E-Mail (einschließlich etwaiger beigefügter Dateien) von Ihrem System. Vielen Dank.

The contents of this e-mail (including any attachments) are confidential and may be legally privileged. If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail, any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of its contents is strictly prohibited, and you should please notify the sender immediately and then delete it (including any attachments) from your system. Thank you.