Posted to dev@doris.apache.org by Zhao Chun <zh...@apache.org> on 2020/02/15 08:55:33 UTC

[PROPOSAL] Remove unused LLVM related codes

Hi everyone,

At present, there are many LLVM related codes in code base, but these codes
are not really used. During my attempt to upgrade GCC, I found that the
higher version of GCC is not compatible with the LLVM 3.4.2 version
currently used by Doris. I propose to delete all LLVM related code in the
code. With this deletion, we can gain the following benefits

1. Remove irrelevant code to make our code more refined
2. Ability to upgrade our toolchain from GCC7 to GCC9 or higher
3. In the future we will be able to use later versions of LLVM. The APIs of
the LLVM versions are not compatible, and there is no way to smoothly
upgrade to a higher version. And a large amount of code that is no longer
used will become a constraint on our future use of higher versions of LLVM.

Since our LLVM code is not really used, this operation will not bring other
harm.

Looking forward to your feedback, if there is no objection, I will
gradually complete this operation later.

Thanks,
Zhao Chun

Re:[PROPOSAL] Remove unused LLVM related codes

Posted by 陈明雨 <mo...@163.com>.
Agree, since LLVM code is not really used now, and it do bring lot compilation problem,
I think it should be removed for now.

--
此致!Best Regards
陈明雨 Mingyu Chen

Email:
chenmingyu@apache.org

Posted by ling miao <em...@gmail.com>.
Hi Chun,
+1.
The codes related LLVM in Backend are not really used and effect the
cleanliness of codes.
I agree with you to remove those codes.

Thanks,
Ling Miao

Zhao Chun <zh...@apache.org> 于2020年2月15日周六 下午4:55写道:

Posted by Kaisen Kang <ka...@apache.org>.
+1.
I Agree with you that we could remove unused LLVM related codes firstly.

Thanks,
Kaisen Kang

Posted by Dayue Gao <ga...@apache.org>.
+1 for removing unused code and being able to upgrade to GCC9

Dayue Gao