Posted to erlang@couchdb.apache.org by Vladimir Ralev <vl...@gmail.com> on 2013/10/28 05:30:39 UTC

Profiling, monitoring and debugging couchdb and couchjs

Hello,

This is an email I sent to the user group several weeks ago that went
unanswered and I am still very interested in this topic so I thought this
would be a good pace to ask again.

We observed certain requests timing out for a certain database with 4GB of
data. The requests are triggering a view query and seem to create an
unusually high number of couchjs processes on that system (40 or so). The
timeout problem disappears after restarting the system (without changing
the data) and the requests take around 100ms after that, so we suspect a
deadlock somewhere. This is on 1.4.0. There are no errors in the log.

If there any tool to help us monitor any locking or stuck operations
especially inside couchjs processes? Or a more general question, if some
query takes too long and times out is there any profiling tool to trace the
execution in details?

I suspect this question can be generalized for Erlang as a whole.

Thanks.