Posted to users@nifi.apache.org by James McMahon <js...@gmail.com> on 2016/12/08 12:13:47 UTC

Nothing in rabbitMQ queue from Publish AMQP processor

Hello I am trying to use a Publish AMQP step in my NiFi workflow. I
generate a flow file with random text content using Generate Flow File, and
then send to a rabbitMQ Exchange named nifiAbcX using Publish AMQP. My
exchange is bound to queue AbcQ by key **.Abc.**, and my virtual host is
nifiVhost. I have established my exchange as a Topic type.

My NiFi instance and my RabbitMQ instance are co-located for development
test purposes on the same server.

It appears that my Publish AMQP does indeed generate output which it sends
down the "success" output flow path, but at the RabbitMQ Management Console
I find that my Exchange and my Queue are Idle and show no messages. My nifi
log shows this Warning message: Failure while closing target resource
AMQPublisher:amqp://test@127.0.0.1:5673/nifiVhost, EXCHANGE:nifiAbcX,
ROUTING_KEY:xyz.Abc.prod  What is this telling me? Why am I seeing no
messages posted to my rabbitMQ queue through the exchange? Thank you in
advance.

Re: Nothing in rabbitMQ queue from Publish AMQP processor

Posted by Oleg Zhurakousky <oz...@hortonworks.com>.
James

You're welcome! And here is the new ticket https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/NIFI-3172

Cheers
Oleg

On Dec 8, 2016, at 3:13 PM, James McMahon <js...@gmail.com>> wrote:

Outstanding work, Oleg. Thank you. I'll watch for those JIRA tickets and in the meanwhile will battle to bring our rMQ out of the dark ages. Thank you very much once again for your help investigating this behavior Oleg.

On Thu, Dec 8, 2016 at 3:08 PM, Oleg Zhurakousky <oz...@hortonworks.com>> wrote:
James

I got to the bottom of the problem and will raise a few bugs against it, but those will be more about providing more information as to what is the cause of the problem, but  the problem is most definitely on your end with regard to exchange, routingKey and queue setup.

Yes, what you’re describing does make some sense and that is exactly what I’ll be filing for improvement. So here is the short version of it.
- When sending to a non-existing exchange is fatal and the channel will be automatically closed. Do first improvement is to check for state of the channel right after basicPublish().
- If exchange is valid but routingKey is not and ‘mandatory’ flag set to true (which is always true in our case) there is a ReturnListener that could be registered with the channel that will let you know pretty much instantaneously if routing failed.
So for your current case I am almost positive that due to some old versions of Rabbit and AMQP client version used by us there is some kind of incompatibility that results in either of those condition to be presented to a client (even though I believe that you may have configured everything correctly, but on the older version of Rabbit).

So, anyway, I’ll file these two bugs while your will try to convince the powerful men you’re working for to upgrade RabbitMQ ;)

I’ll follow up with JIRA numbers so you can track

Cheers
Oleg

On Dec 8, 2016, at 2:58 PM, James McMahon <js...@gmail.com>> wrote:

Glad to hear that you also saw this behavior Oleg. Excellent work - thank you. I think I've proven that this is a problem caused by the version of rabbitMQ and Erlang I am running. The one that breaks: rMQ 3.15, Erlang R14B04.

To prove my theory a co-worker exposed for my test use a dev instance of rMQ that he happened to have handy (rMQ 3.65, Erlang 19.1) on another server and port. And my test messages started popping up in the same exchange / queue / binding key / routing key configuration over there like minions. I think I need to get approval to upgrade rMQ and E. While I won't be able to upgrade my NiFi baseline because of other organizational dependencies, I can certainly eliminate the problems due to the rMQ and Erlang versions.

Does this seem like a reasonable approach in your opinion?

On Thu, Dec 8, 2016 at 1:45 PM, Oleg Zhurakousky <oz...@hortonworks.com>> wrote:
James

So, first good news. I was able to reproduce what you’re seeing. That is always good.
Basically I am sending messages to a bogus exchange with a bogus routing key. The first send results in success from Java API standpoint (no exception is thrown), however, the second send fails due to the fact that the channel is closed and then when I try to stop the processor it gives me the same error as you see during the stop call.
That said, one thing is clear is that your message does not reach Rabbit with any type of success and that is most likely due to some misconfiguration between exchange, binding and routing key.
Let me investigate a bit further and i’ll be in touch

Meanwhile if you look in your app logs can you confirm that you can find the stack trace message that looks similar to what’s below?

13:37:30,449 ERROR Timer-Driven Process Thread-10 processors.PublishAMQP:268 -
java.lang.IllegalStateException: This instance of AMQPPublisher is invalid since its publishingChannel is closed
at org.apache.nifi.amqp.processors.AMQPPublisher.publish(AMQPPublisher.java:99)
at org.apache.nifi.amqp.processors.PublishAMQP.rendezvousWithAmqp(PublishAMQP.java:137)

Cheers
Oleg
On Dec 8, 2016, at 1:04 PM, Oleg Zhurakousky <oz...@hortonworks.com>> wrote:

Got it, let me dig in, i got time now

On Dec 8, 2016, at 12:46 PM, James McMahon <js...@gmail.com>> wrote:

No problem Oleg. My fault for not being clear. The test works demonstrating the message delivery from RMQ exchange to RMQ queue. I was trying to be systematic, and eliminate points of possible failure, the binding of the exchange to the queue in RMQ being one.

It does not work, NiFi to RMQ. I see that a connection is created by RMQ but that connection is blocking. I do not believe the content ever actually gets handed to the RMQ exchange by NiFi.

On Thu, Dec 8, 2016 at 12:41 PM, Oleg Zhurakousky <oz...@hortonworks.com>> wrote:
James

My apology , but I am not sure I am clear on the second part of your explanation. It appears you are saying that when you bound the Exchange to a legit routing key all works as expected (in NiFi), but then what?
Could you please clarify?

Sorry about that.
Oleg

On Dec 8, 2016, at 11:41 AM, James McMahon <js...@gmail.com>> wrote:

Two quick updates. I generated a test message in the RMQ exchange using the RabbitMQ Management Console. My goal was to see if the Idle and blocking were problems or expected, and whether those would change when I sent a test message to the queue. It's also a good validation that I've bound the exchange and queue with a legit routing key. This worked - the test message was delivered successfully.

I noticed that for each AMQP message nifi attempts to send to RMQ, RabbitMQ Management Console creates a Connection that is shown with State of blocking. and that is how it remains indefinitely. Nothing shows up in the exchange or in the queue.

Jim

On Thu, Dec 8, 2016 at 8:26 AM, Oleg Zhurakousky <oz...@hortonworks.com>> wrote:
Fair enough

On Dec 8, 2016, at 8:16 AM, James McMahon <js...@gmail.com>> wrote:

I'm a captive audience in this respect. I do not have the latitude to change that, as it is dictated by a parent organization much broader than my level.

On Thu, Dec 8, 2016 at 8:10 AM, Oleg Zhurakousky <oz...@hortonworks.com>> wrote:
James

Could you also see if you can upgrade to a newer version of NiFi? Current release is 1.1.0, so 0.6.1 is about 3 releases behind and there were quite a few bug fixes and improvements since then that could shed some more light into your issue.
Meanwhile I’ll see what I can dig up on my end.

Cheers
Oleg

On Dec 8, 2016, at 8:00 AM, James McMahon <js...@gmail.com>> wrote:

Yes absolutely Oleg. I will try to figure out how to make my rabbitMQ queues explicitly active. I'll need to dig into that because it is not plainly obvious to me how / if that needs to be done. I'll dig for that.

I am using NiFi 0.6.1.

Cheers and thanks again,

Jim

On Thu, Dec 8, 2016 at 7:46 AM, Oleg Zhurakousky <oz...@hortonworks.com>> wrote:
James I have not used AMQP in a while (although I am the one responsible for developing the functionality you’re having problem with ;)), so I need to brush up a bit on some of the administrative actions you describe (idle to active). Do i’ll get back to you, but as a joint debug step, can you please try to make your queens explicitly active and see if behavior changes?

Also, what version of NiFi you are using?
Cheers when
Oleg

On Dec 8, 2016, at 7:37 AM, James McMahon <js...@gmail.com>> wrote:

Good morning and thank you Oleg. No, no other stack traces or errors are indicated. I've got my Publish AMQP configuration set to DEBUG for Bulletin Level.

I do get an error at the UI when I try to Start the Publish AMQP step after I have Stopped it. It tells me "PublishAMQP[id=47f88.....744] cannot be started because it is not stopped. Current state is STOPPING". I suspect this is a reflection of the WARN log message.

In your experience must I take some action at the RabbitMQ Management Console to change my Exchange and Queue from Idle to Active? I believe that would happen automatically when AMQP messages starting hitting the exchange, but I thought it best to ask. I see nothing on the management console that alludes to enabling the exchange or the queue.

Jim

On Thu, Dec 8, 2016 at 7:24 AM, Oleg Zhurakousky <oz...@hortonworks.com>> wrote:
James

Aside from “closing” failure message, do you see any other errors or stack traces in the logs?
Meanwhile I’ll try to dig more with what I have?

Oleg

On Dec 8, 2016, at 7:13 AM, James McMahon <js...@gmail.com>> wrote:

Hello I am trying to use a Publish AMQP step in my NiFi workflow. I generate a flow file with random text content using Generate Flow File, and then send to a rabbitMQ Exchange named nifiAbcX using Publish AMQP. My exchange is bound to queue AbcQ by key *.Abc.*, and my virtual host is nifiVhost. I have established my exchange as a Topic type.

My NiFi instance and my RabbitMQ instance are co-located for development test purposes on the same server.

It appears that my Publish AMQP does indeed generate output which it sends down the "success" output flow path, but at the RabbitMQ Management Console I find that my Exchange and my Queue are Idle and show no messages. My nifi log shows this Warning message: Failure while closing target resource AMQPublisher:amqp://test@127.0.0.1:5673/nifiVhost<http://test@127.0.0.1:5673/nifiVhost>, EXCHANGE:nifiAbcX, ROUTING_KEY:xyz.Abc.prod  What is this telling me? Why am I seeing no messages posted to my rabbitMQ queue through the exchange? Thank you in advance.

Re: Nothing in rabbitMQ queue from Publish AMQP processor

Posted by James McMahon <js...@gmail.com>.

Posted by James McMahon <js...@gmail.com>.

Posted by James McMahon <js...@gmail.com>.

Posted by James McMahon <js...@gmail.com>.