Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by mike 675 <m_...@yahoo.co.uk> on 2011/08/15 17:27:09 UTC

FOP 1.0 font cache: how long are fonts cached for?

The FOP docs say that the fop font cache is on by default.

How long are fonts cached for.
What if I have a setting of <auto-detect/> to detect *all* fonts on my
system.

Then I change my fop config file to just use my own fonts:
<fonts>
<directory>/home/jdoe/temp</directory>
</fonts>

Are the system wide fonts from the <auto-detect/> statement still held in
cache?

Re: FOP 1.0 font cache: how long are fonts cached for?

Posted by Chris Bowditch <bo...@hotmail.com>.
On 15/08/2011 16:27, mike 675 wrote:

Hi Mike,

> The FOP docs say that the fop font cache is on by default.
>
> How long are fonts cached for.

Indefinitely. Searching for Fonts is a costly operation so it is only
done if the cache file doesn't exist.

> What if I have a setting of<auto-detect/>  to detect *all* fonts on my
> system.
>
> Then I change my fop config file to just use my own fonts:
> <fonts>
> <directory>/home/jdoe/temp</directory>
> </fonts>
>
> Are the system wide fonts from the<auto-detect/>  statement still held in
> cache?

If you don't want to cache any fonts then why not disable it by setting
use-cache setting to false as described here:
http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/1.0/configuration.html#general-elements

Chris