Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by yishayw <yi...@hotmail.com> on 2017/02/13 09:36:39 UTC

[FlexJS, MDL] Mixing Basic and MDL

Carols, Piotr, others, I remember seeing a discussion on this but I couldn't
find it. Can we a use a js:Application with the basic component set which
features a Panel that has mdl components? What are the constraints? We'd
like to start skinning out app with MDL styles.

Thanks.

Re: [FlexJS, MDL] Mixing Basic and MDL

Posted by yishayw <yi...@hotmail.com>.
In case anyone else is interested in making this work, a work around would be
to wrap the mdl components in <div> elements. Then you can use VContainer
[1], HContainer, etc.

[1] https://paste.apache.org/y1bx

Re: [FlexJS, MDL] Mixing Basic and MDL

Posted by Carlos Rovira <ca...@codeoscopic.com>.
Hi

> Thanks for the explanation. I see your points, and it would probably be
> better if we had an MDL like theme for the basic set so we don't have to
> worry about layout and style conflicts. Pragmatically speaking, right now
> our best bet is to re-use your implementation in our Basic based app. It
> might also be the pragmatic choice for future users as, like you said, MDL
> doesn't support some relatively basic controls.

Ok, but for me that's are "theme" feature. If we implement a theming in
FlexJS we can create projects to stylize basic set.
But take into account that it will never be MDL since MDL is what we have
now in all aspects. That would try to make actual flexjs set to look like
MDL

> Regarding style conflicts, we should probably find a solution for that.
> Maybe we can inject a marker class for mdl, or any other package, that
> helps
> selectors distinguish between different component sets. Haven't thought it
> through, but it seems to me we should have some solution for importing 3rd
> party libraries with style declarations.

ok. actualy I exclude css (if you see MDLExample I use a compiler option to
remove default HTML CSS styles)

> Anyway, after replacing some Containers with Grids we were able to get
> something basic to work, so I'll see if this solves our immediate problem.

Great you get it working :)

Carlos Rovira
Director General
M: +34 607 22 60 05
http://www.codeoscopic.com
http://www.avant2.es

proceda a su destrucción.

necesaria.

Re: [FlexJS, MDL] Mixing Basic and MDL

Posted by Carlos Rovira <ca...@codeoscopic.com>.
I don't recommend to use FlexJS Components at all if you use MDL set. Some
points:

1.- MDL (like other *imported* sets) uses it's own components, its own
implementation and rules, so we are only wrapping in FlexJS to make it more
usable in our FlexJS world.

2.- MDL has it's own way to make layouts and other FlexJS things. For that
reason, I commented some days ago to split html tags in HTML swc and other
basic stuff from other FlexJS basic components like js:Button, js:CheckBox,
and so on (take into account that at this time I didn't refactor MDL in
global to avoid dependencies of all HTML components.

3.- In MDL examples we remove CSS HTML basic styles since they mess MDL
ones (this is a big one)

4.- MDL doesn¡'t use relative positioning, like HTML FlexJS components that
all of them has potion:relative hardcoded in the components (and I think we
should remove it and move to some place where we can configure it)

Resume, you could try to mix some MDL and HTML components like js:Container
or js:HorizontalLayout, but in the end, think that MDL is done to manage
it's own way to do things like that.

Take into account as well that MDL basic set does not has some components
like Datepicker or DropDownList (that we could introduce from people that
already made it), and has others that are not part of our basic set
(Badges, Cards,...)

Hope this helps you to make decisions

Carlos

> Hi Yishay,
>
> I think you should use mdl:Application (cause of Dialogpolyfill), but in
> general I'm not sure how it will be working when you mix FlexJS native
> components with mdl one.
>
> Piotr
>

> -----
> Apache Flex PMC