Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Alfonso Quiroga <al...@gmail.com> on 2009/12/30 16:39:07 UTC

demo aplication

Hi! going back again to the idea of publishing demo aplication for
starters (always is easier to see something working and copy from
that, than building an app from scratch, looking for docs, etc).

Is there some idea of how the demo app should be? I'm NOT a T5 expert
but I can do it if it's simple.
a) The first question is... if we have a t5-starter-demo-app, where
will be hosted?
b) What does the app need? I was thinking in very basic, 2 o 3 pages,
using web-security with annotations, storing data in session... a
t:zone example.. and I don't know what else, any suggestions?

I think this idea contribute to new users adopting t5, maybe sounds
stupid, but when you start.. if you have almost nothing to see, a lot
of users can be discarding t5.
thanks

Re: demo aplication

Posted by Alessandro Bottoni <al...@gmail.com>.
Il 30/12/2009 16:39, Alfonso Quiroga ha scritto:

> Is there some idea of how the demo app should be? I'm NOT a T5 expert
> but I can do it if it's simple.
> a) The first question is... if we have a t5-starter-demo-app, where
> will be hosted?

In the same Maven repository of the usual "quickstart" archetype, if
possible.

> b) What does the app need? I was thinking in very basic, 2 o 3 pages,
> using web-security with annotations, storing data in session... a
> t:zone example.. and I don't know what else, any suggestions?

For what regards me, I would appreciate an application with the
following features.

a) User registration
b) Login/Logout and "remember me"
c) User profile management (that is: the individual user should be able
to create and modify his own profile)
d) Users administration (that is: the site administrator should be able
to administer the users and their "roles")

(please note that most, if not all, of this access control stuff can be
supplied by ACEGI and is actually present in the AppFuse basic app).

e) I18n and language switching
f) CSS Stylesheet switching (through a web.xml configuration parameter
or through a site-admin parameter)

Most of the internal features of T5 (sessions, etc.) have to be used to
build these "macro" functionalities.

It would also be very nice to have a basic content/page administration
section, like the one supplied by Brix (Wicket-based).

> I think this idea contribute to new users adopting t5, maybe sounds
> stupid, but when you start.. if you have almost nothing to see, a lot
> of users can be discarding t5.

Right! This is what can happen...

Thanks for your interest in this topic.
--

Alessandro Bottoni
Website: http://www.alessandrobottoni.it/

"Amusement to an observing mind is study."
     -- Benjamin Disraeli

Re: demo aplication

Posted by Alfonso Quiroga <al...@gmail.com>.
Geoff, thanks, I didn't know about the jumpstart app! Maybe that is
enough for t5 starters. Bye

Re: demo aplication

Posted by Alex Kotchnev <ak...@gmail.com>.
Geoff,

Re: demo aplication

Posted by Geoff Callender <ge...@gmail.com>.
Hi Alfonso,

Re: demo aplication

Posted by based2 <ba...@free.fr>.
http://github.com/jhulten/autoblog
http://appfuse.org/display/APF/AppFuse+QuickStart
http://code.google.com/p/shams/downloads/list
http://wiki.apache.org/tapestry/TapestryTutorials

ref:http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.java.tapestry.user/77265/focus=77447

Re: demo aplication

Posted by Alessandro Bottoni <al...@gmail.com>.
Il 30/12/2009 18:54, Alfonso Quiroga ha scritto:
> I know about jumpstart, but that's like different solutions for
> specifics things, not a complete app.
> I think it would be fine to have a complete demo app, maybe using
> hibernate + hsqldb, some custom component, etc, for a begginer

Yes, please. It would be very useful to see a real-world, working T5
application using Hibernate (or JPA) and HSQLDB or MySQL, even if there
is already some (good) example of such code.

The use of ORMs can still hide a few problems (like this:
http://wiki.apache.org/tapestry/Tapestry5AvoidingDifferentObjectWithSameIDExceptions
) and any more snippet of sample code would be useful for the new users.

Thanks
--

Alessandro Bottoni
Website: http://www.alessandrobottoni.it/

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."
     -- Philip K. Dick

Re: demo aplication

Posted by Alfonso Quiroga <al...@gmail.com>.

Re: demo aplication

Posted by Ashwanth Kumar <as...@gmail.com>.

Re: demo aplication

Posted by based2 <ba...@free.fr>.
a) You may improve and contribute to
 http://tapestry.apache.org/tapestry5.1/quickstart/

b)
B1 - You may have to focus on more demo-ing service data easy integration
(Tapestry-hibernate).

B2 - Authentication and Role management (Application goal)

(B3 - Suggestion: A demo for each component, like it was in 3.0
But Jumpstart seems already doing it successfully.)