Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com> on 2017/08/27 05:56:19 UTC

Re: svn commit: r1806058 - in /ofbiz/branches/ofbiz-new-website: ofbiz-demos.html template/page/ofbiz-demos.tpl.php

Le 24/08/2017 à 17:29, sharan@apache.org a écrit :
> Author: sharan
> Date: Thu Aug 24 15:29:13 2017
> New Revision: 1806058

> Log:
> Improved:Changed default login demo application from accounting to order manager

Hi Sharan,

Would it not be more logical to start by product (ie catalog), like on demos?

Jacques

Re: svn commit: r1806058 - in /ofbiz/branches/ofbiz-new-website: ofbiz-demos.html template/page/ofbiz-demos.tpl.php

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Le 30/08/2017 à 08:14, Paul Foxworthy a écrit :
> On 28 August 2017 at 20:04, Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>
> wrote:
>

>> I also remember from my first experience as an OFBiz new user that I found
>>> the catalog manager screen not a very friendly place to start but if our
>>> community like it then it's easy to change.
>>>
>> I agree that order UI is maybe easier, but IMO it's more logical to start
>> with products because you can't have orders before defining products.
>
> I can see your point that parties aren't top of mind for a business owner.
> You enter them the first time you do business with them. For repeat orders,
> you just call up the party and add to an order. By the same token, you
> define a product once and call it up for an order. Accounting, products,
> even parties, are means to the end of earning a buck. The earning is what
> happens repeatedly, and that's what's important to a business owner. So I
> suggest order, not product. In a demo, products and parties will already
> exist, and should not be the first thing to consider.
>
> The sequence in which you have to prepare things in OFBiz is not in order
> of importance or relevance. Just because it's necessary to prepare
> accounting, products, shippers doesn't mean they are of most interest to a
> business owner.
>
> Cheers
>
> Paul

OK, I have not a too strong opinion about it, let it be as Sharan and you prefer
Moreover, it's kinda https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/bikeshedding ;)

Jacques

Re: svn commit: r1806058 - in /ofbiz/branches/ofbiz-new-website: ofbiz-demos.html template/page/ofbiz-demos.tpl.php

Posted by Paul Foxworthy <pa...@cohsoft.com.au>.

--
Coherent Software Australia Pty Ltd
PO Box 2773

Phone: +61 3 9585 6788
Web: http://www.coherentsoftware.com.au/
Email: info@coherentsoftware.com.au

Re: svn commit: r1806058 - in /ofbiz/branches/ofbiz-new-website: ofbiz-demos.html template/page/ofbiz-demos.tpl.php

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Le 28/08/2017 à 10:45, Sharan Foga a écrit :
> Hi Jacques
>
> I mentioned why I changed the demos in a previous email https://s.apache.org/vOUO
Ah yes sorry forgot this discussion

> Also Paul added that people need to see something that they can relate to. https://s.apache.org/hVfR
Yes and he suggested 1st parties then products. I'm more for products because it's really the 1st thing OFBiz needs to handle.
For me parties are a bit peripherals even if as important as product. Thought we have parties related component (HR and Scrum come to mind) OFBiz is
more orders and by product oriented than parties oriented; but we need parties of course.

> I also remember from my first experience as an OFBiz new user that I found the catalog manager screen not a very friendly place to start but if our
> community like it then it's easy to change.
I agree that order UI is maybe easier, but IMO it's more logical to start with products because you can't have orders before defining products.

> Perhaps it might be good to simply ask our users what they would like? (if that's the audience we are wanting to attract)
That's a good idea

Thanks

Jacques

Posted by Sharan Foga <sh...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jacques

I mentioned why I changed the demos in a previous email
https://s.apache.org/vOUO

Also Paul added that people need to see something that they can relate
to. https://s.apache.org/hVfR

I also remember from my first experience as an OFBiz new user that I
found the catalog manager screen not a very friendly place to start but
if our community like it then it's easy to change. Perhaps it might be