Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com> on 2009/02/20 19:29:22 UTC

RE: [OT] very slow class loading on initial JSP/servlet request afterrestart

> From: Christopher Schultz [mailto:chris@christopherschultz.net]
> Subject: Re: very slow class loading on initial JSP/servlet
> request afterrestart
>
> Is this machine running next to any equipment that
> generates a lot of stray alpha particles? :)

Nearby won't do it for alpha particles - they have to come from inside.  They can't travel far (a few centimeters in air, zero for anything with signifcant density), but the high mass of the particle does result in measurable damage if it hits something.

Back in the days when they were a problem, it was discovered that some chip carriers were slightly radioactive, creating some of the first true - albeit unintentional - hardware random number generators.

 - Chuck

Re: [OT] very slow class loading on initial JSP/servlet request afterrestart

Posted by Pieter Temmerman <pt...@sadiel.es>.
Do we know which file file.exists() is trying to check?
May be a good idea to run Tomcat with strace, to see exactly which file
is it trying to access.

On Fri, 2009-02-20 at 21:10 +0100, André Warnier wrote:
> Caldarale, Charles R wrote:
> >> From: Christopher Schultz [mailto:chris@christopherschultz.net]
> >> Subject: Re: very slow class loading on initial JSP/servlet
> >> request afterrestart
> >>
> >> Is this machine running next to any equipment that
> >> generates a lot of stray alpha particles? :)
> >
> > Nearby won't do it for alpha particles - they have to come from inside.
> Dark matter then. Like dark chocolate, as suggested by an earlier
> poster.  I keep being intrigued by the numerology here :
> 2 times 4 cores ..
> 4 Raid disks ..
> 8 reindeer ..
> 64 bit ..
> it started a few days before Christmas (8 ?)..
> That must be telling us something, we're just not smart enough yet to
> figure it out.

Pieter Temmerman
email: ptemmerman.ext@sadiel.es
skype: ptemmerman.sadiel

SADIEL TECNOLOGÍAS DE LA INFORMACIÓN, S.A. http://www.sadiel.es.

Re: [OT] very slow class loading on initial JSP/servlet request afterrestart

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.