Posted to dev@spamassassin.apache.org by Andrzej Adam Filip <an...@xl.wp.pl> on 2006/09/28 13:16:14 UTC

SpamCop.net reporting improvements

1) Indirect SMTP submission to spamcop.

Should the plug-in allow "indirect" submissions via SMTP?
Goals: throughput averaging, overcoming network problems

2) Post spamcop submission auto-ack

Should SpamAssassin provide a tool for automatic acknowledgements of
spam submitted to SpamCop.net via SMTP? [it requires WWW confirmation]

3) Generalizing the spamcop plug-in

Should the plug-in be made "more general" to allow submitting spam
samples to other willing "spam sinks"?

--
[pl2en: Andrew] Andrzej Adam Filip : anfi@priv.onet.pl : anfi@xl.wp.pl

Re: SpamCop.net reporting improvements

Posted by Andrzej Adam Filip <an...@xl.wp.pl>.
Theo Van Dinter <fe...@apache.org> writes:

> On Thu, Sep 28, 2006 at 01:16:14PM +0200, Andrzej Adam Filip wrote:
>> 1) Indirect SMTP submission to spamcop.
>> Should the plug-in allow "indirect" submissions via SMTP?
>> Goals: throughput averaging, overcoming network problems
>
> I'm not sure what this means.

On my *personal* installation about 5% of reports may hit "temporary
network problems". I have modified the plugin to send via local MTA to
avoid any "loss of reports".

>> 2) Post spamcop submission auto-ack
>> Should SpamAssassin provide a tool for automatic acknowledgements of
>> spam submitted to SpamCop.net via SMTP? [it requires WWW confirmation]
>
> Hell no.

I thought about *separate* program (perl script) for the task.

Spamcop sends LARTs to responsible net-masters/web-masters only for
acknowledged spam. "Manual acknowledgment" of 50+ spam per day (day after
day) is unlikely.

>> 3) Generalizing the spamcop plug-in
>> Should the plug-in be made "more general" to allow submitting spam
>> samples to other willing "spam sinks"?
>
> FWIW, I'd rather see a new more generic SMTPReporter (or whatever)
> plugin, and then the SC one would be deprecated.

OK if you prefere to put it this way.

Posted by Theo Van Dinter <fe...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Sep 28, 2006 at 01:16:14PM +0200, Andrzej Adam Filip wrote:
> 1) Indirect SMTP submission to spamcop.
> Should the plug-in allow "indirect" submissions via SMTP?
> Goals: throughput averaging, overcoming network problems

I'm not sure what this means.

> 2) Post spamcop submission auto-ack
> Should SpamAssassin provide a tool for automatic acknowledgements of
> spam submitted to SpamCop.net via SMTP? [it requires WWW confirmation]

Hell no.

> 3) Generalizing the spamcop plug-in
> Should the plug-in be made "more general" to allow submitting spam
> samples to other willing "spam sinks"?

FWIW, I'd rather see a new more generic SMTPReporter (or whatever)
plugin, and then the SC one would be deprecated.

--
Randomly Selected Tagline:
"So, do you...like...stuff?"

 	--Ralph Wiggum