Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by James Turner <tu...@blackbear.com> on 2002/09/13 01:16:04 UTC

Plea for committal

Although some may argue that there's a good case for committing me, this is
in face a request for someone to commit a patch I submitted to Validator lo
many years (ok, a month ago...)

Bug report/patch 11541 has an extension to Validator to allow validation
rules to be written which require access to other fields on the same
form.  It has no destablizing effect on existing code, and has been working
faithfully for me on a live production site I maintain for more than a month.

Unfortunately, all attempts to contact David Winterfeldt have been
fruitless.  The last communication I had with him, more than a month ago,
indicated that his real-life work commitments were his priority right now.

The other committer for Validator is Craig, who has indicated that he
basically doesn't want to touch anything that impacts Struts until after
the final code freeze.  While I understand this position, I also think it's
a little Struts-centric.  After all, I see changes and improvements being
made to other commons packages constantly that Struts depends on.

More importantly, I think that this patch fixes one of the major
deficiencies in the current Validator/Struts Validator Framework
implementation, which is that you can't write validation rules like "Only
validate field X if field Y is not blank".  I've implemented a highly
complex set of forms with cross-dependencies with this patch in place.

It's pretty frustrating to see stuff just float around in space.  I don't
think it's unreasonable  to expect the primary committer for a package to
respond within a month's time.  I don't mean this as a slight against
David, but I'm pretty much at my wit's end.

James

Re: Plea for committal

Posted by di...@multitask.com.au.
James, are there test cases as part of the patch?

If so, I'm happy to step in and try to help out here.
--
dIon Gillard, Multitask Consulting
Work:      http://www.multitask.com.au

<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>